Fan Belt

LEXIE

What is the easiest way for one person to remove and replace a serpentine

fan belt. It would appear difficult for one person to manipulate the tensioner

pulley and thread the belt at the same time. How should the tension pulley be

moved (pried) to reduce tension. Where is the leverage point??

'93 SC400

You just have to get a wrench (15mm or 17mm - I forget) on the tensioner pulley bolt and rotate it (cw or ccw - I forget) and the belt will slip right off, do the reverse to get the new one on. The thread for this bolt is reverse, so be aware if you would be losening or tightening it and make sure that if you losen it to tighten it (you probably won't do either).

Two things, one, if you don't have a diagram for the way the belt travels around the pullies, then take a picture and/or draw one (it's not that hard to sketch) and save it for the next time too. You will think that you'll remeber how it goes, but you won't.

Two, you might want to replace the tensioner bearing (I think it's a double sealed 6203 radial ball bearing - you can get it a Grainger for about $10 or any other gear/tranny shop), you don't even have to take the tensioner off the motor, just unbolt the pulley (REVERSE THREAD HERE) and then tap out the old bearing (from the inside - there's a lip on one side of the pulley). To install the new bearing, fiirst clean everything real good and press the new one in (you can take it to a shop for this), OR using a socket with an outside diameter that will just fit in the bearing housing (the pulley), but large enough to match to the outer bearing race, tap the new bearing in all the way (THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! - you will RUIN the new bearing if you try to tap the new bearing into the pulley and you use any other part of the bearing!), if your not sure - take it to a good shop that has a small press. Then just bolt it back to the tensioner, then install the belt.

There's an idler pulley/bearing too, but that's another story.

I just did this job, so if you have any questions - just ask.

jimbostar--thanks for your very thorough reply. probably a good idea

to change the tensioner bearing in the process. I have used the old

trick of tapping on a socket that matches the OD of the bearing and it

works well if you take your time. I usually lay a piece of wood across

the top of the socket to get more even pressure on the outer race when tapping it in.

Thx again for your ans.

L