Brake Booster Gone Bad?

tony_lexus

Hi folks,

My car LS400 1999 with 142K miles has code P171 (system running lean) due to vacuum leak. With an OBDII reader watching the trimming (long and short trims), at IDLE it is way over %30 in total for both banks. If I press the accelerate pedal, the trim went down to < %10. My mechanic did a check and he told me my brake booster is bad (after $700 replacing the intake gasket). To prove it he clamped the vacuum hose that connects to the booster from the intake, at idle, I can see the trimming gone down to < %10. Now comes the hard part, he want +1000$ for replacing the booster with re manufactured part and almost $2000 for OEM one. Ouch! I think I can handle the R/R for this thing once the weather is nice enough

So here are some question for experts out there:

1. Is re manufactured brake booster , particularly from CARDONE A1, any good? Or should I look for an used OEM one?

2. How easy to get access to the 4 nuts inside cabin to take out the booster? I download the service manual and it seem not that hard but want to tips/opinion from expert out there.

3. is it possible that the master cylinder might be the culprit and cause the leak?

Thanks a lot

Tony

Tony, I do not know how hard it is to replace the booster unit but it is not related to the master cylinder. If you had a leak there, you would be bleeding brake fluid.

I would carefully check the vacuum hose and clamps leading to the booster unit for leaks before declaring the booster bad. Could be a hose or defective clamp.

If the booster is bad, a junkyard unit might be the best bet if you can find one.