Coolant

pierce1

After scrolling through all the post trying to find what kind of bulb i need for one of my fog lights I noticed it says to replace coolant with the toyota red. I just had my timing belts, water pump etc. changed and noticed that they replaced the coolant with green coolant instead of the toyota red as recommend, should I call the shop who did this and insist that they replace it with toyota red coolant? Also will the green damage anything before I get it changed if needed.?

review this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6420

and make your own conclusion.

if you do want red OAT coolant back, make sure they do a 100% complete flush of the green coolant including the 50% volume trapped in heater core and engine block otherwise the red coolant is reduced to 2-year 30K life expectancy.

should I call the shop who did this and insist that they replace it with toyota red coolant?

No, because independent shops don't even carry the Toyota Red. Shops use aftermarket lubes, filters and fluids and always have. So do some Toyota and Lexus dealers. They're less costly and therefore more profitable. If you want the factory original stuff used in your car you have to buy it separately from a Toyota dealer and take it to a shop for installation.

You're also going to find it difficult to find a shop that follows the proper procedure to get all the green coolant out of your system. So you might as well stick with it for now and plan on buying a new radiator sometime in the distant future when your temperature gauge starts creeping up in demanding situations like climbing hills on hot days. The green stuff and mixtures of the green and red cause deposites to form inside the radiator, decreasing heat transfer efficiency and decreasing the life of the engine and its seals and gaskets

I'll be more able to answer that question in about 90k miles, say in about 12 years. I just replaced the original factory OEM "red" coolant with "greenish" in my 92 LS400 with 93k on the odometer.

I'll be more able to answer that question in about 90k miles, say in about 12 years. I just replaced the original factory OEM "red" coolant with "greenish" in my 92 LS400 with 93k on the odometer.

It may take only a year or two for you to answer that question. That's all it took me.

Example: The factory fill in my mom's '91 Buick LeSabre was the green high silicate coolant. I partially changed it using the Toyota Red. Several months later my mom noticed the temperature gauge was creeping higher than it used to. I shined a flashlight inside the radiator and noticed the radiator core tubes had become blocked or partly blocked with a white crud of some kind. Since I only used distilled water in the system, the crud could not have been calcium carbonate deposits from hard tap water. Instead the crud was silicate fallout from the green coolant. Somehow mixing the high silicate green and the zero silicate Toyota red causes the silicates in the former to drop out of suspension and clog the radiator core tubes.

What a hard way to learn the consequences of mixing high silicate and hybrid organic acid coolants like Toyota Red. I have since learned that simply using the factory original coolant in whatever kind of car you drive is the answer to a troublefree cooling system. In the case of the Buick, I should have used genuine GM coolant.

Chemists or whoever those evil guys are that invent this stuff say mixing

colors is not harmful, but does reduce the anti-corrosive longevity. Even if

the morons at the shop did flush there is still red coolant resin which

bound to the walls of the radiator and such. So you do not have a pure

solution of green. I'm willing to bet that those idiots used tap water instead

of distilled. The point is that there is no need to panic but you may want

to flush again in awhile with green or go back to red, that is if your planning

on keeping your car for awhile.