Oem Navigation Not Accepting New York City Addresse

mytea

Have an 2005 ES 330, built-in GPS. It worked great for all addresses, except any address inside NYC (5 boroughs). How?

For instance, to find 135-20 39th Ave, Flushing, NY

1. Tried Queens in <City>, no match. only a few matching "Queen" from NJ, PA.

2. Tried "Fl" got "E" for the next letter.

3. Tried borough didn't get both.

4. Tried "New York", stopped at "New".

I noticed when in NYC anywhere, it shows street name but no numbers. For example, the address above showed "39th Ave. Flushing, NY".

I didn't do anything on the SETTING, all default.

Please help. Thank you.

If all else fails, visit a New York City Lexus dealer and ask for help. There is probably a very specific format in which the address must be entered. This is a common issue on many GPS systems and not just for New York City.

mytea,

Sometimes it comes down to inputting the required info in the manner that the Navigation system wants. It may be spelled out in the Nav Owner's manual differently from what you are doing. On top of that, the maps may be set up and named differently by the original map techs than what it is referred to by the local people.

My wife recently traded her 04 ES330 with the nav package, so I'm familiar with your issue. For the longest time, I couldn't get the GPS in my wife's ES to find a small community 12 miles from my home. Locally we call it by its English name, but the GPS was requiring the French name, even though the French people there call it by its English name. Go figure!

I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe its time to pay Lexus for the latest upgrade DVD for your Navigation generation. There are so many changes to the maps, etc., since that car was made, that you are missing a lot of info.

They are available on eBay, but be sure to order the correct version for your year ES330. They are not cheap. And, its possible that your unit needs a reset, if you have the original DVD. Good Luck!

I appreciate the inputs. But they don't seem reasonable for the addresses I tried:

1. Flushing is not a new town, it's like Chelsea of Manhattan, or Coney Island of Brooklyn. Queens is like Brooklyn. They were in any NYC maps way before Toyota and Lexus came to America.

2. I found some really funny ways this navigation system operates. For instance, Route 22 in NJ has to be "US Rt-22". Maybe they weren't sure if this is US or France. :)

3. What I noticed should be the key of this issue is, no matter where I was in NYC, press <Map> button, it only showed name of the street and city, never showed the number.

Resolved. The design is not idiot-proof, user has to specify a search "area" if it's outside of current one.

Steps:

1. Press <DEST>.

2. On the left is a US map labeled as "Search Area". Pay attention to the highlighted area, if it's not the destination area, then press <Change> atop.

3. Change from US1 to US9 is reflected on the map, press <OK> once you're done.

So, for instance my current seach area is Atlanta area/region, destination won't find "Flushing, NY". Follow the steps above change it to US8 covers CT, NJ and NY. I'm good now.

Hope this help for others who have similar problem.

Resolved. The design is not idiot-proof, user has to specify a search "area" if it's outside of current one.

Steps:

1. Press <DEST>.

2. On the left is a US map labeled as "Search Area". Pay attention to the highlighted area, if it's not the destination area, then press <Change> atop.

3. Change from US1 to US9 is reflected on the map, press <OK> once you're done.

So, for instance my current seach area is Atlanta area/region, destination won't find "Flushing, NY". Follow the steps above change it to US8 covers CT, NJ and NY. I'm good now.

Hope this help for others who have similar problem.

You know I was thinking that this may be your problem. I hate that...and I can't understand why the system requires that you change that. You would think that you shouldn't have to change this.

mytea,

We recently upgraded to a 2011 ES350 with the nav package and found out quickly that the fix you describe is exactly what our ES wants as well.

Its a surprise, considering that the Garmin portables that I've used in my other vehicles cover all of North America without the need to zero in on a particular region.

One can only hope that Toyota/Lexus have gone their route to be able to include much more POI's or allow the system to run much more quickly due to the search area being much smaller. Who knows?