Lexus Paint Protection Product/wax?

In July picked up my 2013 ES300h, white in color. I know the dealer offers some kind of special wax job and I was wondering what the product is and if it can be purchased anywhere. I know the finish on the car is much smoother than I've seen on other cars.

JLMUMS@FSUF

"Special wax job"? "finish on the car is much smoother"? Makes me wonder what special features are available in New Jersey? :blink:

The ES300h is pretty cool. I've driven the Avalon hybrid with the same drive train -- amazing power for a car that gets 40 mpg. The 2013 ES350 loaner I had in June was nice too.

Hi John and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I don't know what the dealer means by "Special Wax Job" as it could be several things.

Last week, I had my car detailed for winter prep. We get snow, ice, and road salt as well as calcium cholride. The detailer used Clay bar first all over the car then waxed and polished with diffrent wax and sealer.

Google "Clay bar" and you'll find some answers. Also, call your dealer and ask them exactly what is involved in their special package.

Paul

Hi John and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I don't know what the dealer means by "Special Wax Job" as it could be several things.

Last week, I had my car detailed for winter prep. We get snow, ice, and road salt as well as calcium cholride. The detailer use Clay bar first all over the car the waxed and polished with diffrent wax and sealer.

Google "Clay bar" and you'll find some answers. Also, call your dealer and ask them exactly what is involved in their special package.

Paul

Paul: Thanks for info.

John

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In many cases dealer applied protection packages are quite expensive vs. what you actually get for the money. Most of the cost is in the warranty part of the package vs. the product(s) being applied. It's a BIG profit generator for the dealerships.

You could use the money spent and have the car detailed inside and out with a good quality sealant applied on a periodic basis by a good detailer.

On the other hand it can't hurt to have something done through the dealership. Peace of mind.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of protecting the paint on a new Lexus, i just purchased a 2014 ES 350 and want to take it on a road trip with my family. I inquired at the dealer what they can provide for protection from bugs and stones and they said they have a clear plastic polymer that they can install to protect the hood and front grill area. It is done by a dealer authorized/licensed business. Has anybody here had it done or had any experience with this process. They are charging me 500.00 to do it.

A lot owners have this done. It's usually referred to as clear bra. Usually you can save money by finding a local shop who installs a name brand product. As you mentioned, the dealership contracts this type of work out and there is an upcharge involved. $500 might not be too bad depending on how much area it includes and what brand of film is used.

A lot owners have this done. It's usually referred to as clear bra. Usually you can save money by finding a local shop who installs a name brand product. As you mentioned, the dealership contracts this type of work out and there is an upcharge involved. $500 might not be too bad depending on how much area it includes and what brand of film is used.

Thanks for the response, Bob. I think it covers the front bumper/grill area and the front of the hood. Is there a brand or thickness of polymer I should look for?