Spark Plugs,

nowers

I've read horror stories and seen some youtube videos about changing sparkplugs in my 2005 es330. How hard is it really? I just finished with my brakes and timing belt. Should I attempt the Spark Plugs?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Use the suggested Iridium plugs, and yes, the plug change can be a DIYer.

The usual practice is to pull the throttle body to get at the three plugs back by the firewall, hence the expensive shop hours required to do it this way. I've seen the same YouTube video on doing the job without pulling the throttle body, and I've read a step by step description of the same.

The trick with the second method is to purchase a ratchet that turns by rotating the handle (I purchased one, but have yet to do the job, waiting for the miles to add up.) If you have small hands, its possible with this ratchet to replace the rear plugs. Its supposed to be a pain, but I'm going to tackle it this way when the time comes.

Give it a try, and keep us posted as to how you make out. I guess if its too hard using the second method, you can always do it the way the dealerships do, and pull the intake manifold. Good Luck!