Antenna Repair If Replacing The Mast Doesn't Work!

Garo_mcc

After reading around I decided that replacing the mast on my1994 ls400 power radio antenna would have it back to working order. After removing the old mast, inspecting the motor housing to check for broken teeth I put it back together. Upon feeding the new mast into the tube I heard a lot of grinding, then the gears would catch, pull the mast in for a short period, then stop.

After trying to feed the mast in numerous times I gave up. I assumed that all was lost. The sound of grinding gears lead me to believe that they had been ground out due to the old mast being stuck in one place. After searching around I didn't want to pay $100 buck for a used unit. After a trip to the local breakers yard there were no ls400 there but a few es300's. The motor looked to same and so I got it for only $20, thinking I could change out the motor housing only.

Took them apart to find out the the inner workings were the same. Upon inspecting the gears I found that the gear coming of the motor worm drive was flatted with no teeth left. I scavenged the gear from the es300 motor housing, reassembled, the new mast fed in like a charm!

So even if you have tried a new mast and it doesn't work but you can hear the motor turning, Check the gears and scavenge from any similar lexus power antenna! Fixed mine for a grand total of $20.

Pictures below, hope this helps someone else out.

post-149023-0-21651100-1372738848_thumb.

post-149023-0-99559000-1372738871_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 97 Coach Edition LS400 but the arial has been broken off. I hear the motor turning when I shut it off but wonder if its possible to just replace the telescoping arial rather than the motor. I cannot find a diagram on how to repair it so I haven't been too keen on taking it apart since I'm not sure I can get just the telescoping arial. Any help would be most welcome! Btw, new user, new Lexus owner and this is a cool site. Thanks, E

The antenna rod is available separately - see the attached diagram. Register with your forum name and you can buy a replacement fro Sewell for about $65 not including shipping: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8604860254-Electrical-LS400-1997.html

These instructions are for an earlier model but might help: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/powerantenna.html

post-2157-0-09473300-1375354580_thumb.jp

As 1990ls400 says, best to try replacing the antenna mast first, can be bought cheaply from ebay. If that doesn't work then look at the gears if the motor is operational.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys. My 1999 LS400 was taken through a car wash by the operators. They forgot to lower the aerial, and you can imagine the consequences! They are talking about fitting a complete new, generic, unit. Of course that wouldn't have the differing heights for different frequencies, but my main concern is the extra wiring etc the original probably has, that the new one wouldn't. I assume if there were wires no longer connected, it is possible it could affect the radio adversley. Would that be correct? And if they got something wrong, that could also be a problem. Like blowing the radio! I'm hoping they will allow me to obtain an OEM mast, but at $232 locally they may object. But it's better than $973 for the whole unit! Your thoughts?