Looking For Good 12 Voilt + Line To Tap Into

914lps

I need to add a 12 volt power port in my car.

My two standard cigarette outlets just can't handle the stuff I
am plugging in.

Both stock lighter sockets get their power from the same fuse,
and well I have been blowing it.
Especially on those road
trips...

I plug in the cell phone, speaker hands free for phone, GPS, and
so on ( especially with passengers plugging in their stuff), and well, this car
was not made for all this stuff.

I would like to have the outlet somewhere around the center
counsel, or almost any place on the back floor, or passenger area.

Any idea on an easy to tap into 12 volt + line? I have fuse
holders so I can fuse it. And it needs to handle at least a 20 amp draw from
what I plug in.

Trying not to run a line though the firewall from the battery.
I know that is the best way to do it... But I'm going for the easer the
better.

I thank you all.

Easiest point would probably be from the ignition switch feed as these carry the current you require and it would be a fairly short route from there to the centre console.

It would be best to solder the joint and then skrink wrap.

Thank you. But just "were" is that wire. How do I identfy it, and how do I get to it.

I am looking for an easy to do fix.

I do apreshate your help, but just "naming" a wire does litle to help.

Click on the link below to reveal the wiring color codes, look at the 5th item down marked "Accessory" this is the wire you need to locate coming out of your ignition switch loom for your supply.

http://www.lextreme.com/ls90.pdf

If you aren't fully confident in vehicle electrical wiring and removing the trim to gain access get a shop to do the work for you or buy the service manual on CD rom for a few $$ and it will tell you.

Thank you. The wireing giude is good info.

I am thinking are there wires that may be sandard but not "used" that I could tap into.

My car did not have the cell phone kit. It does not have heated seats ( don't know were they offered on the 91??)... So could I tap those wires and get say a 15 amp to 20 amp line?

Thank you. The wireing giude is good info.

I am thinking are there wires that may be sandard but not "used" that I could tap into.

My car did not have the cell phone kit. It does not have heated seats ( don't know were they offered on the 91??)... So could I tap those wires and get say a 15 amp to 20 amp line?

Heated seats were offered as options on all LS400's but no wiring, switches or relays for them were installed at the factory unless the seat heater option was installed. Toyota/Lexus wiring harnesses are completely specific to the equipment that was installed at the factory. The only exception is the pre-wiring for dealer installed cell phone system. There is one connector for the cell phone buried underneath the back of the center console under the air vents you see when the arm rest is raise. If I remember correctly, none of the pins on the connector are powered but you could disassemble the console to check with a test light.

Not sure if this was standard across the range but mine has an unused multiway connector under the rear seat base which if they were fitted would power and control rear heated/massage seats.

If you can locate this and find a 12 volt supply on one of the pins it would be a short hop to take a wire from here under the carpet to the centre console.

I was thinking of poking around under the power seat with a volt meter.. After all how often do I move the seat.. Not much at all. If needed mine is a 91 LS400 USA.

Right now it is in the shop getting the ac converted to 134A. As it has a leak and staying with r12 is just to expensive.

And weekend temps are expected to be 120 so working ac is more imporant right now that playing with a "new" 12 volt power wire.

Im sure someone is going to ask... I live in Arizona... The hot part of it !!!

If you have your car in the shop for an A/C conversion, why don't you have them T-tap a wire into the switched wire at the ignition switch - they could just leave it dangling for you to connect to and route later.

I've never heard of anyone tapping into the electrical feed of a power seat but that doesn't mean it can't be done. You may not need to move the seat but it not moving is a safety issue if someone else drives the car. The "gold standard" for an electrical supply for additional devices is still the ignition switch.

You do not mention whether or not you desire a switched line or always hot. I would caution against drawing a lot of power via the ignition switch as it has its limits. I think you ought to explore your fuse box for any empty, existing slot(s) and try to tap in there. There is thing called a 'fuse tap' which is used precisely for what you want to do. Here is a link -> http://www.ehow.com/how_8014809_add-circuit-car-fuse-block.html

Steve, US spec models do not have that connector. I thought yours was a Japan market Celsior.

It is a JDM Celsior but as I said I didn't know if it was standard across the range as mine does not have the heated/massage rear seats but the loom was still fitted.