Does Anyone Know How To Get 40Mpg With The Es300H?

Hello chexican and welcome to the LOC.

This topic comes up with most Lexus hybreds. Based on the postings I've read before, it is not unusual for a hybred to get fewer mpg on the highway and more with around town driving. Some owners report 38 - 40 in town, amd 32-35 at highway speeds.

I don't know of anything special one can do to improve your current results. But I would suggest you go to the top of the page and do a search of the data base. You will probably find several hits on the subject. Also, if you haven't, talk with your dealer and ask then if there is something more that can be done.

Paul

Gosh, that is awfully close to the EPA rating of 40/39. You might be able to bump up your mileage to nearer the EPA rating by turning off as many electrical accessories as possible including and especially the A/C, emptying out your car, driving by yourself and pumping up the tires to the max allowed - but why would you want to do that. Car manufacturers continue to play all sorts of games during fuel economy rating tests, e.g. a single occupant of a below average weight.

Since my wife bought a new Prius v wagon last summer, I've hung out on Prius and other hybrid forums and noticed that few people get the EPA mileage. Wife's Prius is rated at 44/40 but it has averaged 38.5 mpg in mostly city driving since it was purchased.

I test drove an Avalon Hybrid a while back ... has the same drivetrain and EPA mileage rating as the ES300h. If I bought one, I doubt if I would come at all close to 40/39 since it was kind of fun to "put my foot into it" during the test drive. Now that the new 2014 Highlander Hybrid with PCS has come along, I'll likely be buying one of them next year - EPA rating of 28/28 ... I'm hoping for better than 24/24.

You are doing great.

The other day as I was merging onto the freeway, I again remarked to myself how impressive the distance car manufacturers have come in improving the performance, mpg and reliability of a little o'l 6 cylinder engine. When rating mpg for a particular make or model I go along with Jim. Seldom does any car in all situations perform exactly to the specs the EPA publishes.

I have had 3 ES series cars so far. A 2005, 2010, and a 2013. Each of these cars routinely got 30 mpg during highway/inter state driving. 33 mpg has been the top. That from a V 6, 270 h.p.(approx) engine.Wwhen merging onto a freeway or passing in a hurry, when you punch those 270 guys it responds like a bat out of hell. Compare that to my very first car, a 1956 Chevy straight 6, and it's like the hare and tortise. One problem with the Chevy was I could not afford all the STP you had to put in to keep up with the oil it burned, Sure the ES is never going to match a GS, but the two models serve two different markets. So goes it with hybreds. I see one in my future.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

About a week of owenership and I have averaged 39.5 +/- (Eco mode only with some careful driving no jack rabbit starts, stop light anticipation etc).

Rick

• 1 month later...

I've owned my '13 ES300h for about a month now. For the first tankful of gas, I averaged only about 36mpg with a mix of city/highway driving and AC on. My second tankful is now up to about 38mpg. I asked my dealership service advisor about this, and he said the car needs about 1,000 to settle in. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm going to wait until then to see if my mileage improves. But even 38.5 ain't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

On my first tank of gas, I averaged about 39.6 mpg, normal mode, about 70% FWY and 30% city driving, mostly flat road with A/C running only on my return trip in the afternoon (from work). I do park the car in a covered garage so I guess the A/C is not working as hard to cool down the car. I am driving normally, keeping up with freeway and city traffic as much as I can. I am anticipating red lights at intersection so the regenerative braking can charge the battery as long as possible (and not wearing down the brake pads at the same time). So far I'm very satisfied with the initial mpg readings compared to its EPA rating. I think keeping the tires properly inflated at 33 PSI (cold) will also help.

After 2600 miles, I am averaging 41-42 MPG for normal driving 30% highway 70% city, on highway trips mileage depends on the maintained speed 70+ is worse than 65. Best daily average 47.5 which is an outlier. Driving in ECO mode, AC on, concervative driving habits etc. Very satisified with the results. Rick