1999 Keys Don't Work To Remotely Open/close Doors Or Trunk

TheeSlowPoke

I read through 4 pages of the "Keys" posts and again ran into "flood something something - try again in 17 seconds" and didn't find anything that matched exactly with my problem...

My keys don't remotely work, they quit working all at once about a year ago. I have been opening my doors and trunk the old fashion way, i.e. by using the key as a key rather than as a remote. As I was Searching the site for other issues, I ran across the key posts and became intrigued.

What are the recommended steps for getting the key fobs to work again? Since both keys stopped at the same time, is it a key issue or a transponder issue (kind of points to the transponder)? Is there an easy way to find out?

I read through 4 pages of the "Keys" posts and again ran into "flood something something - try again in 17 seconds" and didn't find anything that matched exactly with my problem...

My keys don't remotely work, they quit working all at once about a year ago. I have been opening my doors and trunk the old fashion way, i.e. by using the key as a key rather than as a remote. As I was Searching the site for other issues, I ran across the key posts and became intrigued.

What are the recommended steps for getting the key fobs to work again? Since both keys stopped at the same time, is it a key issue or a transponder issue (kind of points to the transponder)? Is there an easy way to find out?

Maybe a dumb question but have you tried changing the battery in the key?

I didn't replace the batteries for 2 reasons: 1. They both quit working (actually I only used one of them a couple times when I first got the car and then didn't try it until the first remote quit working). Since neither key would work, I figured it probably wasn't the key. 2. I checked the battery (it is a 3 V battery) and found it to be at 2.87 volts. I would think at >90% charge, the battery would still do its job. Maybe not, though. I will get a new battery and try it - they are cheap.

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Thanks!

Good to know. When you measured the 2.87 vdc, it was probably with no load. The true indication of battery health would be if you measured it while pressing a key which would put the battery under a normal load. Then you would probably see it drop below 2 volts.

Thanks for the update.