Programming New Key-Won't Work

Roy510

I realize this has been discussed many times but I am at wits end. I lent a friend my 2002 es300 and he managed to lose all of the keys except a non remote key I had bought when I got car and programmed myself. I still had one of the original remotes which I had put in a replacement shell after my daughter dropped and broke the original shell. I had that key cut and it worked fine without programming so I assumed it would work as a master. Or the non remote key would. And I have the wallet key with the chip in the holder.

So today I go to Lexus dealer and buy new remote key (on friend who lost its dime). I want to save him the $70 to program and say I will do it myself. I have tried programming every way detailed here, with each of the 3 keys I have. No luck. And I mean probably 2 hours of trying all told. With the 5 times accelerator/6 times brake method I get car to go into programming mode but the security light will not shut off. Basically its like it goes into programming but won't recognize genuine Lexus key. The lock/unlock door turn on/off/open door method doesn't work either. Funny thing is I did successfully program the buttons to open doors and trunk.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Friend feels bad about losing keys but I feel bad going back and having total charge be about $250.

I realize this has been discussed many times but I am at wits end. I lent a friend my 2002 es300 and he managed to lose all of the keys except a non remote key I had bought when I got car and programmed myself. [snip]

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Friend feels bad about losing keys but I feel bad going back and having total charge be about $250.

Aside from the fact that I don't understand why you gave him all of your keys when you loaned him the car, I'm wondering how he managed to lose all of them! I think you and your friend are just going to have to face the fact that your friend is going to have to ante up the money to program your new key(s). Bummer.

About all I can do is to provide a link to a thread you may have already found and which I cannot confirm is accurate: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/66255-key-programming-instructions-for-a-2002-es300/

Like the OP of that thread said, "Timing is critical". I watched a Lexus dealer service writer program four new keys - 2 remote, 2 valet - when my 00 LS came with only one set. It sometimes took him more than one attempt but he was doing it without written instructions.

• 1 month later...

I need to purchase a new shell for my one and only remote master key.

1. What is the cheapest method of adding one more master key with 3 remote buttons?

2. Can anyone recommend a shell that looks and feels like original and is strong enough, where I pop in the remote module in it?

3. Where is the best place to get the keys cut?

4. Where is the cheapest place to buy an additional 3 button remote module?

Thanks to anyone who has been through this and spent time figuring out the best method and saving some money along the way?