Vibration In 92 Ls 400

pierce1

I have a 1992 Lexus LS 400 with 83,000 miles. I just recently had the power steering pump replaced, a tune up, new tires. I just recently began to have a vibration that I feel when the car is in drive, you can feel it in the floor board and the gear shift. Not so noticeable when in netural. I took it back where I had the tune up and had someone test drive (not a mechinic).

He said it could be coming from the motor mounts also at 1400 RPM's you can feel a change. This is driving me crazy until I find the problem. Has anyone experience this problem, also another mechenic said my left bearing is bad (could this be related) but the guy who drove it today same if it was it was in the early stage. Can anyone give me any advice on what the problem may be,

I had to keep spending money on replacing parts to guess where it is coming from. Also I my have a left front bent wheel. Any help is appreciated.

Pat in Va.

Does it vibrate when idling in a forward gear? If so then it very well could be a motot mount that is fairly common on the old LS's. If it vibrates while at speed, then get that wheel replaced. They sell Lexus wheels all the time on Ebay (I'm waiting on a good deal on a complete set of GS300 wheels in chrome to replace mine) so they're easy to come by. The LS is so smooth that any type of imbalance in the wheels will cause some really bad vibrations. Get the wheel replaced ASAP also because it will ruin your new tires quickly.

Feel better though, you're not pouring money into a lost cause. The LS is barely getting started at 83,000 miles.

Thanks for the imput. Yes the car does vibrate when it is ideling in a forward gear. I plan on getting new wheels as soon as possible. It is one of the quitest smoothest car I have ever driven. P. S. Advise on tires, do not get Dunlops Sports. I put them on one and they were the noised tire I have ever had, also they handled good. I took them off and got Michelians.

Which Dunlop SP Sports?

I've had experience with the 4000s and the 5000s, and the 5000s were very quiet, moreso than the 4000s but they weren't loud by any means. My only issue with dunlop is that they wear SO quick...

I'm getting ready to replace the wheels and tires on my ES, and am deciding between the Dunlop SP Sport A2 and the Bridgestone LSH, the top two on the ride quality and quietness ratings on Tire Rack. I'm leaning towards the A2 because they're cheaper, and they've had more miles reported (meaning the survey data is more valid).

The Dunlop Sport A2 is what I had on my vehicle, I them on for 1 month. They were noisey, I checked on some customer tire reviews and this was one of the main complaints. Probably due to the tire design. They handled great in wet weather and snow, but if you can stand the noise there fine. I had older Dunlop Sports before and they were fine, but like I say Dunlop Sport A2 changed the tread design making them noisey.

Pat in Va

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't found out what is causing the vibration in my 92 LS 400. The left frontwheel bearing was OK, and the motor mounts were ok. The virbation is on the drivers side and I can feel it in the floor board and slightly in the gear shift, the vibration is not felt when in neutral but starts when I put it in a forward gear and more noticeable when it reachs 1400 rpms and then levels off after reaching above 1400 rpms. I plan on taking it to another sports car shop and maybe they can find the problem. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem. The vehicle has 83,000 miles.

Pat in VA

• 2 months later...