Engine Ticking Noise

• 1 month later...

I got the same answer from the dealership's tech. I guess we have to live with it. I have seen many complaints about this, but apparently it is innocuous.

• 1 month later...

Same response here for my gen2 rx. Dealership said the same thing, however attributed this to fuel rails and said there is an upgrade to quite this...but $$$. So I said forget it and have been living with the tick for the past 4+ years now.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2008 RX350 that has this problem. However, it is a slightly heavier noise than just a click? Only comes up after starting a cold engine? The noise does disappear after the engine warms up. This car has been doing this for a long time, so I think it is safe to assume that it is nothing serious. I'm having trouble in relating this noise to "noisy fuel injectors"? Does anyone have a more definitive answer to the exact cause of this engine noise that shows up upon starting a cold engine? Almost sounds like detonation?

Any comment (s) will be appreciated! email: ted66@msn.com

VBdenny.... Lately I have been using Castrol 5-30 Synthetic Blend. Prior to this I was using straight 5-30 Premium oil. The clicking noise was present prior to the oil type switch? Your comment is interesting, but could you explain the connection between fuel injector noise (most contribute the noise to the fuel injectors) and/or the type of engine oil used? This may be possible, but ........?

ted66@msn.com

I haven't seen mention of this noise in hybrids. Do any of you RX400h owners have this issue? We never have but let's see if others experienced that type of sound.

Hey Ted, I have found synthetic oil is much quieter on start up, especially when it is colder outside. Maybe use an automotive stethoscope to track the noises. Yes, most think it is the fuel rail but I always consider every option for noises.

VBdenny... I do reside in the So. CA area, and we seldom experience any cold weather that is worth mentioning. I did switch to a Synthetic Blend engine oil to extend oil changes some, but for no other reason.

There seems to be a consensus that the noise is due to the fuel injector system. I have no way of determining if this truly is the cause or not? Some say that they were told by Lexus dealers that the fuel injectors were the culprit, and not to have any worries, as this noise is normal.

I'm definitely not going to pay a dealer any money to correct this problem, as long as it is harmless. The RX350 is a fine auto, and you would think that Lexus would create some sort of recall to correct this noise, but my guess is that the fix would be very expensive, and Lexus is reluctant to have a recall for this reason?

I have yet to contact a dealer about this problem, but I may do that to re-confirm that the problem is with the fuel injection. I really have no reason to doubt that the members that have made comments are not being truthful about having contacted Lexus dealers.

DBTED