Thinking Of Updating Navigation Dvd

natey2

My 2005 LS430 has a Navigation DVD ver.04.2

Close to my house, the navigation incorrectly tells me to make a U-turn instead of a right-turn. The maps look correct; this is a much older neighborhood (1997?) so the navigation unit must know about this area.

If I upgrade my Navigation DVD to the latest version, will it fix the incorrect instruction to make a U-turn?

Pretty impressive Navigation unit for 2005, but I actually prefer the Google Maps app on my Smartphone which pronounces street names (I have a removable dash-holder for the Smartphone), so updating the Navigation DVD is not important to me unless it fixes this wrong U-turn instruction.

Version 12.1 Map update is $169 at Sewell Lexus. Sounds like this would be an 8 year improvement of the map database so you decide if it is worth it. I went to 12.1 from 9.1 and have been happy. If you want you can look up the release notes and look at all the map changes in you area with each release. It is a lot of work to do though.

.... updating the Navigation DVD is not important to me unless it fixes this wrong U-turn instruction.

But you said that this wrong U-turn instruction is near your home. Don't you already know how to get the rest of the way home when you hear the incorrect instruction?

Navigation systems are only an aid and do not replace existing knowledge or common sense. When a Magellan portable nav told me a few years ago to turn right and cross the Missouri River on a bridge that had been removed, I stopped instead of crashing through the barrier and plunging over the precipice into the river far below.

Like CuriousB said, the inexpensive current map update would be an 8 year improvement. It will likely include many improvements that address road changes over the past 8 years. You can install it yourself -- instructions are on the Sewell website or I can provide them if you don't find them.

Will the current map update fix your wrong u-turn instruction? It's hard to say. Our house was built 32 years ago, near city hall in a suburb of a large metro area and our house address is still not in any mapping database -- not in Mapquest, not in Google maps, not in my Garmin GPS (Garmin HQ is located about six miles south of where I live!) and not in the navigation system of my wife's new Toyota Prius. But strangely, once I get within a few miles of my house, I can still find my way home without the assistance of a navigation system.

I've fixed the wrong U-turn problem: I marked my neighbor's house on the map instead of mine, and somehow the Navigation unit now correctly tells me to make a right turn!

I realize I don't need very specific guidance that close to my house, but I am concerned that it might make similar mistakes elsewhere. I've not had this problem near my house with any GPS I've used: Magellan RoadMate, Bing or Google Maps (Windows Mobile / Android).

Just FYI. A lot of people buy the latest DVD and then sell their old one on ebay for a significant discount. If you don't want to pay $170 for latest you can get 2-3 year old one for half that. Even 3 years old would be 5 years newer than you have...

I take the money I would have invested in a DVD update and buy a Garmin. Lifetime maps, portability between vehicles and, absolutely the most important point for me, is the ability to select new destinations while driving.

I've fixed the wrong U-turn problem: I marked my neighbor's house on the map instead of mine, and somehow the Navigation unit now correctly tells me to make a right turn!

After a rash of car thefts in which thieves used the "Go Home" feature of portable and in-car navigation systems to find car owners' addresses and then used the built-in HomeLink to open garage doors, burglarize houses and perform "home invasions", I decided that I should set "Home" on our navigation systems to a location other than our residence.

I had a numerous nearby choices to use as our fake home address ... cemetery, Taco Bell, grocery store .... but I decided I would rather have our navigation systems guide thieves to the front door of the Lenexa, Kansas police station which is about 200 yards from our house.

I decided I would rather have our navigation systems guide thieves to the front door of the Lenexa, Kansas police station which is about 200 yards from our house.

Very clever, Jim. Imagine the look on their face(s) when they realize that have been duped! Priceless. :whistles:

My navigation unit was not cleared when I bought the car. I can see the 60 or so addresses used by the previous owner. One would imagine a Lexus Dealership would erase such things before selling the vehicle.

Yes, I am going to remove my actual home address. Nothing worse than having a car thief find my house and use the car's garage door opener to get in.

I realize I don't need very specific guidance that close to my house, but I am concerned that it might make similar mistakes elsewhere. I've not had this problem near my house with any GPS I've used: Magellan RoadMate, Bing or Google Maps (Windows Mobile / Android).

You've had better luck with navigation systems than I have. I've had navigation systems show I was driving in the Atlantic (Hertz rental car Magellan-based "Neverlost" (I called it "Always lost"), tell me to turn into oncoming traffic on one-way streets, and countless times indicate that a freeway entrance was on the wrong side of the road. I actually like that Garmin and most in-car navigation systems do not "chime" when you are supposed to turn -- makes one use his brain and pay more attention. I used to like Magellan for the turn chime and the user interface even if their routing algorithms were often incredibly poor.

My navigation unit was not cleared when I bought the car. I can see the 60 or so addresses used by the previous owner. One would imagine a Lexus Dealership would erase such things before selling the vehicle.

I think you are expecting a far higher level of consciousness than is normally associated with car dealerships! :wacko:

In case you decide to update your LS430 nav maps, here are the instructions. I think it applies to all years of the LS430 but not certain.

nav_install.pdf

Just curious as to where you guys store your proof of insurance card and vehicle registration? Mine are in the glovebox but sounds like maybe that is not a good idea.

Just curious as to where you guys store your proof of insurance card and vehicle registration? Mine are in the glovebox but sounds like maybe that is not a good idea.

The vehicle registration and one insurance card are in small envelopes either inside or with the owners manual in each vehicle. Car thieves could probably find them but I doubt if they would be reading the owners manuals after stealing a car. Each of us also carry insurance cards in our wallets since we both rent cars - I occasionally and my wife about 25 weeks per year.

I would hope I would remember to clear the codes from our garage door openers should one of our cars be stolen but that probably wouldn't be the first thing on my mind. We are of very few in our mostly geezer neighborhood who still work so we have plenty of (way too many!) busybody lookouts around us. That aforementioned police station within 200 yards may help too.

Something that I insist on that seems to irritate my wife is to keep the entrance to the house from the garage locked although that's not going to stop a professional intent on breaking in.

I would think that a thief smart enough to use the nav. home button would also know to rifle thru the glove compartment and notice an envelope. If the thieves would have your address via the registration or insurance cards, the nav 'home' is effectively a moot argument.

I would think that a thief smart enough to use the nav. home button would also know to rifle thru the glove compartment and notice an envelope. If the thieves would have your address via the registration or insurance cards, the nav 'home' is effectively a moot argument.

Some may do but our insurance cards do not show our address. If a thief is going to be patient enough to go through all the crap in our glove compartments to find the registration - especially my wife's glove compartment / toxic waste dump, then he deserves an award!