Headlight Bulb Gs450H

Hey guys so i recently bought my 2007 Lexus GS 450h and im pretty happy with it. Recently while I was driving, I noticed that the passenger side headlight would just turn off. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it was the bulb. When I contacted Lexus they told me that a new bulb would cost $230 (JUST FOR THE BULB). I think that's pretty ridiculous but now the driver side light is starting to turn off by itself while driving. It must be the bulb because sometimes i notice the lights lightly flickering so it must be the filament. Now that I have to change both bulbs are there any cheaper options for me out there?? This might be a stupid question but I am no expert on cars so PLEASE HELP !?!?

Hi Darsan9 and welcome to the Club.

If you just had your mechanic look at it and didn't actually have a Lexus tech look at it, I'm sorry to say that it may not be the bulb but the ballast that provides the voltage for the HID type Headlight bulb. I'm not saying that's what it is , but the whole system shold be checked out especialy since both sides are acting up.

Try e-bay as a source for a new bulb, or Sewellparts.com. Sewell is a large Lexus outlet in Dallas that gives good discounts to members of the Lexus Owners Club.

Paul

I agree with Paul. The ballast should be checked out also. did your tech say anything more specific like the bulb contact points are rusted or it exploded inside the housing?

I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the headlamp for $300!!! When the other light was failing I did a litle research and found alternative bulbs that were more white than the original. I purchased 2 for 1/3 the price of the dealer bulbs and the dealer replaced them for me. Below is the details of the bulbs I bought. They have been in for approx. 6 mos. with no problem.

Item name: HID_D4S_D4R_D4C

Item description: Genuine Garax 6000K 8000K 10000K 12000K D4S or D4R Xenon Replacement HID Light Bulbs

www.iJDMTOY.com

Best of luck.

• 5 months later...

Hi Cathy and welcome to the LOC.

Your probably right. Already almost all car makers are using LEDs for some applications in most models. The use for headlights, according to some articles I've read, are being phased in, but there are some problems with getting the angles of beam coverage to be as focused and accurate as HIDs.

• 2 years later...

So what is the issue? My es350(2007) driver side flickers then turns off, by turning off the headlights and then turning them back on it comes back on , but turns off again intermittently. Is this a bulb issue or a faulty ground?

Maxl