Speedometer Failure, Common Problems Checked

saabspeedmaniac2k6

I am working on my moms 1990 Lexus LS400. One day the speedometer, cruise control and transmission shifting failed all at once. I suspect that a faulty shift solenoid that was way over due replacement caused the problem. I replaced the shift solenoids, both transmission speed sensors (used) and got some results. The transmission started working perfectly. The problem is that the Speedometer still does not do anything. I mean Nothing at all. It doesnt even move when the car is started or put into on position. I have checked connections on the speedometer, ecu, speed sensors and any other connector i could find. Cruise control also is not working. At this point I am just shooting in the dark because I dont have a wiring diagram. Haynes nor chilton have a manual available and anything on line exceeds my budget that i am willing to spend for just a diagram. I have sunk lots of time and money fixing as many issues i can into this car and this is the last issue. I am looking for suggestions on what to test and how or at least a complete wire diagram. anything online is incomplete. Your time is greatly appreciated.

I did replace that little control box in the back with one from a junk yard and extended the wiring harness by taking some from the donor junk car. I did this when i was trying to fix the intermediate dash light failure. I will take a second look at it and make sure i didnt mess anything up. The book i bought online apparently is out of stock. I got the email today, which would have been nice earlier since i was waiting for it this past four day weekend =/ I will have to wait for more time off this next weekend and use the site that was suggested to me earlier. Thanks for the info on good starting points. I love this dependable car but it sure loves all kinds of attention when things do go wrong.