If You Think A Prius Is Small Then Look At This Roller Skate!

1990LS400

Here is the rental Smart Fortwo "Passion" I'll be driving for the next few weeks while my crashed LS is being repaired .... parked next to my wife's recently purchased Prius v wagon. Although the Prius is vastly larger than the Smart, they have a number of features in common.

Both have hoods that drop away so severely that the driver cannot begin to see them or where the front of the cars are.

Both have panoramic roofs which make the interiors seem larger than they are.

Both are actually very roomy inside. The Smart doesn't pretend to be any more than a two passenger car and a six footer like me could probably wear a cowboy hat in both cars.

Both cars have incredibly wonderful headlights. The Prius has LED low beams and the Smart has the best halogen headlights I have ever experienced - probably better than the Prius LED or the HID of my Lexus.

The Prius is nearly silent at low speeds. No so the Smart with its loud and raspy engine. The Smart turns out to be quite a fun car to drive - especially with the transmission in manual mode and using the steering wheel paddle shifters. The Prius is not a fun car but is certainly smooth and rides far better than the Smart.

I find the Smart seats more comfortable than the Prius seats but the Smart could sure get old on long trips where its loud engine would make it hard to talk or hear the radio.

It's a fun comparison and more so due to the cars being the same color.

post-2157-0-25977100-1350753518_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-86179100-1350753552_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-67969800-1350753590_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

And heck it makes a great coffin.

The Smart car actually has highest ratings from the IIHS (probably due in part to the eight air bags) except for the bumpers and head restraints which get the IIHS next to highest rating. By the way, the IIHS has a great mobile web page ( http://m.iihs.org/ ) for those who like to check safety ratings on the spot before they buy or rent a car. You might be surprised at the popular rental cars that have poor safety ratings.

I've grown to appreciate this little bugger more and more over the past weeks. It's gotten easier to drive in automatic mode as I have learned to coordinate the gas pedal with the 5-speed automatic transmission which shifts more like an "automatic manual" electric clutch Porsche transmission than the fully automatic transmissions most of us are used to.

The lightly tinted panoramic roof and untinted large side windows make the Smart feel very "convertible-like" - just begs to be driven with the windows down.

The dual temperature heated seats in the Smart heat up very quickly - could roast a turkey (Lenore, you busy? :closedeyes: ) on the high setting. I've been loving streaming Pandora and TuneIn Internet radio through the Smart's audio system - already looking into getting an aux-in installed on my LS radio so I can do the same.

It's been fun being the butt of jokes and having people I work with "share" my parking space to needle me. The Smart is probably not the vehicle for someone lacking self confidence.

I'm looking forward to getting my LS back - maybe on Tuesday - but I'm going to miss the Smart ... I had forgotten what it's like to drive something that is actually fun to drive.

Considering it's size it's relatively safe, at least in case of the unlikely event it crashes into something similar in size/weight. Otherwise not as safe as larger and heavier IIHS top safety pick.

My preference for more "fun to drive" than a Smart is a Lexus (IS350 Fsportedup w 19,s, T1R, F sport exhaust), very quick, crisp handling, very fun. Not all Lexus cars are a big LS sized boat fortunately.

Unless it was raining or snowing I think I still would feel safer on my Harley! :) :lol:

Ride carefully. I've seen little pain from car crashes during my life but horrible pain, hospitalizations and permanent disabilities from motorcycle crashes.