Shifter Light

chas

I just bought a 1997 ES300 and noticed the light for the shifter is not working. I was told that the faceplate has to be pried up but I am a little hesitant to do that. Does anyone know if this is the way to gain access to the bulb? Or any other suggestions? Thanks Chas

absolutely no clue. i think the only way is going through the shifter cover. that's about it. don't think there's exactly a sidewall to get to it. just straight down through the shifter column.

i thin k that there is a u shaped clip on the shifter that has to be removed first

i think the whole assembly may have to be lifted up to get it out

call lexus and see how much it is to fix the bulb

then they will tell you why it is so expensive if it involves removal of the center console

to start open a cold beer

:lol:

ok seriously now

open the center console and you will find the little carpet there pull it up find 2 bolts

pull out the rear ashtray see if any are in there

pop off the little peice of plastic under the hand brake

this is what i can remember from my 94

i know it is a different car but some parts are bound to be the same basic layout

I think the 97 is a little different than the 94. I did not see any screws. The inside of the console is solid? No carpet or anything to pull up. There is a little pullout inside the console. I put a mirror in it but can't see anything that I can put a wrench or screwdriver on to get the console off. I can put my hand in it but can't feel where the light is. The cup holder for the back seats does not seem to come out along with the front cup holder.

Lexus likes to hide bulbs and make them hard to replace. I remember my dad had one of those little running lights on the side of the front bumper on his LS400 out, they charged me $70 to replace it. I also had them put on some new windshield wiper blades. They charged me almost $100 for that. It doesn't bother him either, you don't see me doing stuff like that with my Lexus, although it does only have 4000 miles on it...

anyway...

Try and locate a repair manual for the car, they sell them all the time on ebay. Hopefully it will show you how to get the console up. Personally I doubt it has to be removed, I bet the shifter surround just pops off. Call another dealer to get a second opinion.