Super Heated Front Wheels On 92 Ls 400?

snolab

I leaned against my ls400 front wheel with shorts and got a pretty hot almost burn from it. It had not been driven long and both fronts were really hot on the wheels. The backs are considerably cooler. I pulled the cap off and felt both hubs and they were very hot. There is no squeak or sound coming from the wheels and the wheel does not rock on the hub. I am assuming the bearings are getting really hot as well. Any thoughts and what should redoing the fronts cost me? Can I just replace the whole hub as a fix?

It could be your calipers that are dragging and causing the heat. Of course, it is entirely possible that it is normal operation on a hot day and typical use of the brakes. Just because your skin gets very hot does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

How many miles on your ride?

The only time I saw this the brake pads wore out fast too. Turned out being the brake lines (rubber) had expanded inside and werent allowing the calipers to release all the way....(note: was on a chevrolet truck) Chances of both wheels would probably be not a go. This only happened on one wheel.

How short of a drive are we talking?? The wheels get hot while driving on every car. It's perfectly normal there is a lot of friction going on. Besides the front dealing with turning and rolling friction the front brakes take the bulk of the work.

Heave you ever leaned on the wheel after a similar drive in the past??

Thanks for the replies! First the auto has 124k on it. It has had few miles over the past 3 years. Like about 2000. I just bought it. The heat from the front rims is to me extreme. Skin contact would burn you if touched for more than 5 seconds after only driving for 2-3 miles. I have not pulled the wheels yet but based on comments and reading I am guessing the calipers are sticking. I am also getting very intermittent "trac" illumination on my dash but only after driving for a while and not all the time. I am just feeling out this car at this point not using much. It's in mint condition most miles between Minnesota and Arizona, no rust, all documented service etc. I am a little spooked by the cost of repairs, but so far the car drives like a dream. What is the best way to check the calipers? Another question, how in the world do you access the tail lights to change a bulb??? I've got a brake light out and am baffled by how to get the lens out?

That's too hot. Raise the front axle. Try to spin the tires. You can also have someone depress the brake pedal, and while they are doing that, you try to turn the wheel. Then have them release the pedal, and the front wheel should then turn instantly with no dragging. It's possible from the lack of use that the caliper pistons have seized up and are keeping the brake pads against the rotors. Relatively simple repair, and it should be diagnosed and done soon.

how is your gas mileage (MPG)? Dragging brakes would severely reduce MPG.

I doubt face of tire would be much impacted by hot rotors and wheels. Tire rubber is a pretty good thermal insulator and the webbing nature of the sidewalls makes for a poor thermal route.

I check brake drag with a non contact i/r thermometer. I go for a drive and then coast to a stop. I quickly shoot each rotor and see if they are about the same temp. A dragging rotor will show that ones temp well above the others.

p.s. rotors can reach 800 degrees in use. That is super heated....

Although the link below is for tinting the rear clusters it also shows how to remove them for bulb replacement.

http://www.lexls.com...taillights.html

Seized caliper pins are a common problem with the brakes, sometimes removal and a regrease will sort the problem.

Picture 7 shows the pins you need to look at in the link below

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbcaliper.html

Easy one. You need to clean the caliper pins Very easy, pull them out, wipe them off, lubricate them with high temperature bearing grease and reinstall. A lot of pele neglect to do this and this is exactly what happens. First time for me, I ate a set of pads in 400 miles.