Only Has Reverse, No Forward

Netg

I'm having an odd problem. I bought this car not long ago and have already loggged over 12hrs in it. The car was running perfectly, shifting smoothly and promptly. All fluids are in near new state in both color and odor, timing belt and all seals and the water pump have been appropriately replaced.

I recently acquired a trouble code 28, I've only heard of o2 sensors causing transmission problems in ford windstar minivans and that was only one case I know of.

It is a 92 LS400 with nearly 300k miles.

When placed from park to D the rpm's rise to just a tad over 1000 but transmission does not "engage". Revving only increases the rpm's and has no effect on cars lack of motion. I went through all gears (I have done this many times now with same results) and the only noticable rpm changes are when going from park to neutral and drive but here is another oddity; when going into D, 2, or L the rpm's are around 1000, when I put it into Neutral they drop to about 8-900. Reverse works as always.

I had lightly sprayed the engine bay with a water (water hose from my house with an attchment that causes the water to spray flattened out horozontally) and then used a rag and spray bottle with water/dish soap mix to clean the engine bay components. I then used the same hose/attatchment to spray off the soap/grease. It was after this the problem began.

I have cleared the codes via 20amp fuse removal and neg battery terminal removal several time...the problem persists. The car has also sat overnight, I have experience said issue both cold and warm.

Any ideas?

Maybe you have a shift linkage problem....just a guess.

LOL I'm am presently looking up pdf manuals for doing just that :)

The selector itself wobbles quit a bit...but when moving through the gear selections it feels like it's moving things properly, but I may just be feeling the detents. Also P, N, and R all engage exactly where they should and disengage where they should; in relation to the shifters position along the track.

The washing of the engine compartment may have just been coincidental and having nothing to do with it. Being that your car is a '92, are you aware of the very weird issues that arise from the infamous broken trunk cable wiring? It might not be that but...dont know for sure until ruled out. In all honesty, it just sounds to me like you are simply low on transmission fluid.

The washing of the engine compartment may have just been coincidental and having nothing to do with it. Being that your car is a '92, are you aware of the very weird issues that arise from the infamous broken trunk cable wiring? It might not be that but...dont know for sure until ruled out. In all honesty, it just sounds to me like you are simply low on transmission fluid.

I've checked and when hot it's a little over full...and the wire harness on the left trunk hinge is fine.

then follow

LScowboyLS advice

lol I checked this thread first so I was a bit lost..."I don't see a reply here..." ;) But yes that will be checked next...I'm working from easiest, to cheapest, to hardest, to most expensive "things to check"...and that day I couldn't get to the plug.

Updates:

I've gone ahead and ordered the shop repair manual, wiring diagrams, and transmission repair manual from Lexus (well ebay really) so until they get them in and familiarize myself with the finer workings I won't be able to do more than throw wrenches/parts at the problem, I hate doing that, I always prefer a more organized, logical approach...THEN go to the abstract hitting with a hammer crying like a baby while rocking on the ground in the fetal position wimpering "this can't be happening...this can't be happening"...I try to do that last, I get fewer odd looks if I don't jump to that last step of the diagnostic process.

more things to check...hopefully I'll figure it out and help some other poor sap ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a '92 and my shifting problems began more gradually, but abstracting out the time differential, the results were exactly as you describe - no drive,1, 2, and reverse kept working. Finally one day the reverse began doing the same thing - not engaging. Took it to a transmission rebuilder and the guy said the seals were shot - they had lost their flexibility and sealing power. He did a complete replacement of the seals, etc., most of the shifting issues were resolved. However, they did not replace the #1 & #2 solenoids with the rebuild. Later, with new #1 & #2 solenoids the shifting problem was completely cured.

Not saying that is your problem, if you rule out the trunk wire issue and any possible ECT issues, only one or two possibilities remain.

HTH