1992 Ls 400 Back Seat Removal

vs1957

Need to remove back seat to test height control actuator. Can any one give detail instruction on how to remove the back of the back seat?

The lower cushion comes out by pulling forward on two wire loops that you'll find on the front edge near the carpet. It takes a good pull - I used pliers - to get them to move. As you pull forward on them lift the cushion a bit. With both released the cushion slide out easily.

The back cushion is retained at the bottom with bolts, and then can be lifted up and it releases at the top......at least that's as I recall.

The gen 1 LS400 does not have the hidden bolts behind the headrest flaps. I'm not sure what "wire loops" SRK is talking about - my 90 LS had fairly large and obvious metal tabs, coated with plastic caps, that had to be pulled forward before the front of the seat cushion could be popped up. The plastic caps on the metal tabs might have been to protect the back of people's legs from being scratched.

I removed the rear seat of my 90 LS many times - very easy to do. It sometimes shocked people that I used my 90 LS sort of like a truck for camping/canoe trips and piled coolers, tents and cooking equipment in the rear seat area after I removed the rear seat. With all that "abuse" (I really babied the car) the car looked like new when I sold it in 2003 after driving it for 13 1/2 years.