Mr Lexus Is Finally On Board

mrlexofNJ

I have finally signed up to this forum after years of following you guys and Gals.

I was probably 1 of the earliest adopters of Lexus back in 1989. used to notice how some people thumb their noses when they saw me driving to NYC via the Lncoln Tunnel in my burgendy LS 400 when they first came out.

I have settled on the 1st generation lex as the collectors car of chioce I now own 6 of the "babies" most with digital dash problems..... any help locally in New Jersey? someone? any one?

I have finally signed up to this forum after years of following you guys and Gals.

I was probably 1 of the earliest adopters of Lexus back in 1989. used to notice how some people thumb their noses when they saw me driving to NYC via the Lncoln Tunnel in my burgendy LS 400 when they first came out.

I have settled on the 1st generation lex as the collectors car of chioce I now own 6 of the "babies" most with digital dash problems..... any help locally in New Jersey? someone? any one?

Hi Mannie, and welcome as well to the Club.

There is a member of the Club who goes by "Cduluk", and knows about everything when it comes to the electronics of the Lexus dashes. However, I don't know about a a model of your year. I will send him a message and ask him to get in touch with you on this post.

Paul

I'm here!! :geek: Can you describe the faults in your cluster? Is the backlighting still there? Needles out?

Unfortunately, if either a portion or the entire length of a needle is out, the needle itself will need full replacement. The needles themselves are miniature florescent tubes called CCFL's. They're pretty much just ultra-small fluorescent lamps that you'd typically see on an office ceiling. And unfortunately Lexus won't sell the needles separately; you'd have to buy entire new clusters.

I have a lot of experience with 1997+ Lexus gauge cluster technology, but not much on the early LS model clusters. There are companies online that can repair these, for for a cost. There are also people on ebay offering a service to repair them- this is where i'd try first. Read the descriptions clearly and make sure they are aware of the issues specific to your cluster (needles out/not, backlighting out/not, needles sticking/not, etc.).

Sorry i can't be of more help :unsure: But report back when you have them repaired!