Bench Test A Nakamichi Radio

drivernuts

I recently acquired a used Nakamichi radio out of a 99 LS that was advertised to be in working order including the LCD display. Is there a way to bench test the unit without having to install it into my "99 LS?

Thanks for any info!

Not really unless you are a car audio repair shop. It takes no more than 15 minutes to replace the head unit in a 98-00 LS400. Be very careful taking out the center vents - they break and/or fall apart very easily. There are small release tabs on either side of the vents that you can reach by sticking a small screw driver through the vent louvers.

The wood console trim/ashtray unit usually can be pried up without much effort. My favorite tool for this is a stiff blade putty knife with the blade wrapped with electrical tape.

The radio head unit is held in place by four 10 mm bolts - two top, two bottom. Be careful not to drop anything or you will be searching the top of the transmission tunnel for lost parts. Spread a towel on the console so that you don't scratch it when you pull out the head unit.

I kind of figured that might be my option. I have had the center vent out previously and of course the two black plastic pieces that are necessary to be able to rotate the vents fell down into the tunnel. They dropped so fast I didn't even see them so I didn't know what I was looking for but eventually discovered them and super glued them back onto the vent.

Thanks for the tips on removing the head unit, much appreciated.