Oil Change And Filter

I had a 1999 RX 300 and the oil change and filter were easy to do myself. On my 2009 RX 350 the filter is under a shroud and I am reluctant to try and change it myself. Can I change the oil myself and change the filter at a garage every OTHER oil change?

How many miles are on your 09 RX? Is the drivetrain still within its 6 year / 70,000 warranty? The reason I ask is that the maintenance schedule for your RX shows both oil and oil fiter change required every 5,000 miles. It's a good idea to follow the maintenance schedule under warranty. And not that the recent Toyota/Lexus V6 has had oil sludging problems but you get my drift? If you are going to skip oil filter changes, consider using synthetic oil.

How difficult is it to remove the shroud? Is it on top of he engine or under it? I have to remove twelve 10 mm bolts in order to remove a "shroud" (it's called the "engine undercover") to reach the oil filter on my 2000 LS400 and it was about the same number of bolts on my previous LS. It takes maybe three minutes. I just calcuated that I have removed and reinstalled one of these undercovers about 60 times in 22 years / 300,000 miles on my two Lexus LS cars.

The oil/filter change on the '09 is cake...two 10mm bolts hold on the "shroud" or "skid plate hatch"...whatever you want to call it. After that, it's a matter of spinning off the filter canister or the "end plug" where you insert the drain tube, then replace the O-ring(s) on the canister, and insert the new filter element and reinstall. It's REALLY easy...been changing it on my wife's since the dealer did the first "free" one. I would not skip the filter between changes...just my .02.