Best Way To Get Rid Of The 1St Gear Surge

My car is a 95 SC400 with about 137K on it. After reading a number of threads on here, I've notice people have a variety of ways of attacking that annoying surge at 1st gear that really kills your 0-60 time. What are the best ways of dealing with this problem that you have all found?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife drives a 2003 GS300 Sport with the 2JZ-VVTI and she always kills me on the stoplight to stoplight drags. Mostly it's the danged surge that does me in.

I've tried disconnecting the 4th Speed Sensor and I'm going to shim my accumulators in a week when I do a transmission service. Also, in about two weeks, I'm going to finish my exhaust mods by putting in a set of Magnaflow 14829's or 14832's. I've also heard that a Unichip solves the problem, but I don't want to buy one if it isn't true.

Also, FYI, my other car mods are BFI, X-pipe and high flow bullet cats.

Anyway, please tell me what your thoughts are?

Hmm. Have you tried to launch from 2nd gear yet? don't have an auto anymore but it feels like it might help you.

There are some options available for the SC4s but they won't be cheap. I don't know if one of our old members is still around Lextreme, but he came up with a rebuilt Toyota torque converter. You can check-out his website "lextreme.com" and make contact see if he's still has some parts.

the other areas to improve your launch would be a drive shaft and an LSD. I should warn you, if the transmission is defective or warn-down these options won't help at all.

I hope these suggestions help.