Advice For Buying Cpo Es350

kbjeff

Hi All,

After a ridiculous amount of research, I've decided my next vehicle will be a CPO Lexus ES350.

I'm looking in the range of 2008 to 2011. Looks like that puts me in the range of $25k-$35k USD.

What specific advice would you suggest in terms of differences between model years, trim packages, gotchas, etc, as I conduct my search?

Thanks!

Jeff

Well ... you can see all the option and package information at http://www.lexus.com...11_options.html How easy it is going to be largely depends on how particular you are about equipment and color.

I doubt if you will find any "gotchas" on a 2008-11 ES350 with a documented maintenance history. If you purchase CPO, you can assume that the car has had at least the minimal required maintenance.

If you are that flexible on model year and price, I suggest that you look an ES that has just come off a two or three year lease with a mileage cap - 24K or 36K miles - and which as a substantial amount of its basic warranty left.

Maybe look at non-CPO cars. I bought my off lease 00 LS in 2003 at 38,000 miles from a broker for $9,000 less than either of the two CPO 00 LS with similar miles and less equipment that the Lexus dealer had on his lot. I've since driven the car to 150,000 miles and nothing happened could have made spending even a fraction of that extra $9,000 worth it.

Even look at private party sales. You would likely give substantially more for a car than a distressed seller could get from Carmax.

And keep the check book loaded and ready. I bought my 00 LS the afternoon before it was going to be offered for public sale. I rarely make snap decisions but that was one I never regretted.

The 2011 would be my choice for sure. In 2010 the ES350 went through a "refreshment" and new trim and looks were added.. It really updated the looks of the interior and exterior. With a CPO added to this 2011, you would have a one year old car that is still in warranty!.

For peace of mind sake, and to protect your investment, remember you can only get a Lexus CPO from the Lexus dealer.

Yeah I personally would look to a 2010+ for the enhancements made in 2010, I think they really did a lot for a car that was sort of plain beforehand.

Like Jim said, I would look to private party sales as well. Big benefit of CPO, if you are financing they have special new car rates as low as .9% or 1.9% for 60 months on CPO cars. A non-CPO car is going to cost you a lot more to finance, especially a private party car. Otherwise I agree the CPO program is really kind of superfluous.

Thanks everyone! This definitely helps. I am interested in the financing rates with CPO, so leaning that way.

@1990LS400, appreciate your comment on "Gotchas" - I really want a car that will just run problem free so long as I maintain it properly. No more hassles!

@SW03ES and @Paul A, yes I can see the difference in 2010+ styling. On the exterior, that chrome trim along the bottom of the doors really makes a difference (especially on darker vehicles).

One thing I'm seeing is some of the vehicles with parchment interior have dark or black floorboards. This seems like a really smart move to hide foot dirt. Is this true of all 2010+ vehicles?

@Steve W, I'm color blind. I like the look of Truffle Mica... it looks dark gray to me. Is there a color in there, too?

I bought my ’08 ES with just over 37K miles. It now has just under 40K. Can I take it to a Lexus dealer and get a CPO cret preformed on it? it runs flawlessly.

One thing I'm seeing is some of the vehicles with parchment interior have dark or black floorboards. This seems like a really smart move to hide foot dirt. Is this true of all 2010+ vehicles?

Its a weird thing. The carpeting is parchment, but the mats are more the color of the upper dash on mine. However, I have also seen them with mats that match the carpeting. So you can get them either way. I too like the darker mats because they don't look as dingy over time.

@Steve W, I'm color blind. I like the look of Truffle Mica... it looks dark gray to me. Is there a color in there, too?

Yeah, its a very neat color. Has some brown, has some multi-colored flakes...even a little green. Its warmer than the dark grey which is why it works well with the parchment interior.

Steve is right on re: the Parchment interior. On my 2010 ES the carpeting on the sides of the console are a light chocolate, while the floor goes to more of a tan. The carpeted mats are the same Tan color and really do not show dirt easily.

What I don't like is the color of the winter/rubber mats. They are dark brown, and ugly.

Every car seems to be a game of "spin-the-bottle"

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've been digging and looking more. I think that some (but maybe not all?) 2010+ ES350s with gray interior have the dark charcoal carpet and mats. I've yet to see the dark charcoal in parchment interior. So, this has me leaning toward the gray interior. Still hunting!

The grey interior has the black carpeting and mats for 2010+, the Parchment interior has parchment carpeting, but they do sell mats that match the top of the dash/steering wheel color (darker brown). If your 2010 doesn't come with the darker mats (some do) you can always just buy them.

My parchment interior looks great at 30k miles.

Hi,

I bought my 2011 CPO ES350 this saturday. Has 14k on it. Only thing which concerns me is that when you see the car fax history, all it has is the date when it was registered and then at 14k when it was offered for sale as CPO from the dealer. When asked, the sales man said that this was a loaner car. Got it for 34k $ with nav package.

Now questions:-

Why the car fax does not show anything for when it was used as a loaner car? Apparently it was not registered. But the how can the dealer use it as loaner when it was not registered?

Was this a good deal. Asking price was 35.9k but I had no solid grounds for much negotiations as KBB, NADA and edmunds were giving much higher prices.

Thanks in advance for responses.

BR,

Prasant