Tiny Bulb In High Beam Side Of Headlamp Assembly

lemon

yes indeed! You can reach behind the headlight and find the plug sticking out (you can feel it with your fingers). Just twist the plug counterclockwise and pull out. Just be careful when you put it back in, as the bulb might fall out of the socket and fall into the headlight (which will be nearly impossible to remove).

I'll take some quick pics of mine and post back :)

here are some photos for ya!

302xhk9.jpg

aemo38.jpg

2z5t89i.jpg

30bhc28.jpg

I've since replaced mine with an LED bulb but you get the idea. ^_^ Just be sure that the bulb is pushed in as much as it can go into the "plug" before you try to put the plug back into the headlight. If the bulb isn't in there tight, it might fall out when you're trying to twist it back into the headlight. :whistles:

Cduluk, thanks. I could see the light but I tried twisting and turning and it wouldn't budge. I'll have another go at it tonight. Mine works intermittently - maybe it's loose, but I may just use LEDs like you did.

My guess is that the bulb is loose in the socket. You know how i mentioned it's easy for that bulb to fall out when taking it out? It doesn't fit very well in the socket... it might be causing the intermittent pattern.

you might wanna try "pushing" and "pulling" the socket inwards/out while twisting it counter clockwise to get it out. You don't need to twist counterclockwise that much; just a few degrees. Even when you try to put it back in, you'll question whether it's indeed in all the way; there's no "click" or anything to let you know it's in all the way. It might be that you've twisted it all the way, and just need to yank it out.

And if you decide to replace the bulbs with LED's, be VERY cautious as to the ones you buy. About 99% out there aren't durable enough to survive the inconsistent voltage/current supplied to that bulb. I'll look up the ones i've had in there for years (only ones that have lasted) and i'll post back.

Here they are. They have built in regulators so the LED's don't heat up beyond their limits. I've tried many many bulbs that claim to have regulators but these were the ONLY ones that last.

http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=69

Ok..that's done. Thanks for the help. Didn't appear loose - maybe the filament was broken, but still making the connection the odd time.

Anyway, the side marker lights also use the same bulb, but it seems to me like the whole headlamp assembly would have to come out to reach those ones - correct? Or really small hands and remove the battery and washer reservoir on the passenger side and the fuse box and some other bits and pieces on the driver's side?

Ok..that's done. Thanks for the help. Didn't appear loose - maybe the filament was broken, but still making the connection the odd time.

Anyway, the side marker lights also use the same bulb, but it seems to me like the whole headlamp assembly would have to come out to reach those ones - correct? Or really small hands and remove the battery and washer reservoir on the passenger side and the fuse box and some other bits and pieces on the driver's side?

Haha yes, i didn't see this post here but i replied to your PM; i believe you can reach behind and get to the sidemarker plugs by doing exactly what you said (removing the nozzle, fuse boxes) but i don't think the battery needs to be touched. I know the directionals can be reached this way and the sidemarkers are close by. Here's a quick photo i took of a headlight i had laying around to give you an idea as to what angle you've gotta pull it out.

edmpi.jpg

Are the bulbs burned out? What's your reasoning for removing them? If you can't reach them via the front, you might be able to via pulling away the wheel well liner. It would have to come out if you wanted to remove the headlights anyway; along with the front bumper!

I wouldn't replace the side parking lights (the ones that illuminates the orange reflectors) as it won't change the appearance. It might make the reflectors a "bit" more yellow than orange, but it's not an improvement. And quite honestly LED bulbs just aren't as reliable as standard bulbs, nor are they as bright. I would only suggest LED bulbs if you're looking for appearance, not for brightness and certainly not for reliability. LED's are only more reliable if the circuit they're on is designed to limit current and voltage. Resistors alone will NOT protect LED's. They need voltage regulators as well- and even then with a step down from 14.5V to 3V you'll also need heatsinking...