Newbie Lexus Owner Checking In

fusi0n

Hello LOC,

Last week I bought a Lexus GS300 and I am in love with this car! My family has always been die-hard supporters of American cars, specifically Fords, and my previous car was a Ford Focus ZX3. I put a lot of work into the Focus, but it was starting to become a maintenance nightmare so I knew I had to get something else to reliably get me to school and work. One of my jobs is at a valet stand here in South Florida and really found myself liking the luxury / sport sedans that I drive, since they are extremely comfortable, very stylish and still fast enough to be quite fun to drive. I made a list of the cars in this category that I considered both affordable and awesome, but the Lexus GS really stood out in the group. I am so impressed with the level of engineering that Lexus puts into their cars, and the care / pride that (most) Lexus owners take in preserving their vehicles. My GS is 13+ years old and is almost flawless; it was meticulously cared for by its 1 previous owner and I plan to do the same.

Here are some pics from the dealership's website. I paid a little less than that advertised price, which is already way under Blue Book. I used to work at that dealership and I know the owner; as far as I can tell, he really hooked me up with a great deal.

My GS has 80,000 miles on the mill, and I know that these cars can last until 200,000+ miles if you take care of them. The previous owner had the timing belt replaced in 2010, at 70k miles. What other maintenance should I be worried about doing in the near future? I want to perform "preventative" maintenance with this car (fix it before it breaks), rather than "reactive" maintenance (tow it somewhere to get it fixed after it blows up).

Anyway, glad to be a part of the Lexus "family". See you guys around.

Hi Paul and welcome to the LOC. It's always nice to have someone come over from the dark side!

Nice ride. At 80,000, your just getting it broke in. Glad you like it so much and keep all of us informed about any mods you do.

I'll let some of the real wrenchers answer your questions.

Paul