Oil Filter Change

wildcatsua

Got a 2008 ES350 a few months ago. Went to change the oil. The housing came off in 1 piece and I could not separate it.

Appears to be no problem. Just wind up with a hand full of oil.

Am I missing something?

thx

Thanks for the reply but...

I know how it's supposed to work but my housing won't come apart. So I'm wondering if this is a problem.

Again, the only downside I see is the handful of oil that you get when removing the entire housing.

thx

Thanks for the reply but...

I know how it's supposed to work but my housing won't come apart. So I'm wondering if this is a problem.

Again, the only downside I see is the handful of oil that you get when removing the entire housing.

thx

Photos?

It is not a problem if you are willing to put up with it.

Generally, the drain for the housing is put on by a gorilla. It will come off but it may take some doing.

I put mine in a vice (carefully since the housing is plastic) and it finally came loose with a 3/8" ratchet wrench. Rather than squeezing it tightly with the vice the housing was clamped in so the "wings" on the housing prevented the piece from rotating in the vice.

After that it has not been a problem in subsequent oil filter changes.

Thanks for the help.

My drain plug seems to have been installed by a gorilla on roids. I tried separating on my workbench with 2 channel locks and decided it wasn't worth it.

My housing appears to be aluminum.

Just wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing something. Don't mind the handful of oil.

Who knows, maybe some day it will come apart.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

You do not have a problem....I usually change my oil but the "incredible hulk" at the dealer wrenched mine into a one piece unit as well. My solution: latex gloves and a larger drain pan. For the last 80,000 miles I just change out the whole thing.

The little drain plug at the bottom of the filter housing is supposed to be tightened at about 1/2 the amount of torque as the housing when re-installed. This should allow the drain plug to come loose before the housing when you are changing the filter.

There are several videos on You Tube showing the "proper technique" for changing the oil filter (some are for the Camry-same engine), including one that mentions the torque specs for re-inatallation. Too bad the shop mechanics aren't forced to watch these.

The little drain plug at the bottom of the filter housing is supposed to be tightened at about 1/2 the amount of torque as the housing when re-installed. This should allow the drain plug to come loose before the housing when you are changing the filter.

There are several videos on You Tube showing the "proper technique" for changing the oil filter (some are for the Camry-same engine), including one that mentions the torque specs for re-inatallation. Too bad the shop mechanics aren't forced to watch these.

=1 I am sure they just plug a ratchet into the square indent and crank the whole assembly back on. Once they do that the small piece is stuck in there and is not coming out. I don't want to deform the whole housing trying to get it out an end up buying a new one.