Decision On Car Purchase

I am in the decision process between a 94 sc400 with 141,000 miles and a 92 sc400 with 129,000 miles. The 94 is in good shape, but it has a problem with the radio. The owner said the drain from the sunroof leaked on the amplifier and it has not worked since. This has me a little scared. It also has a crack around the trim of the windshield--driver side. The 92 has a nakamichi radio and it works fine. I don't want to purchase a new radio for the 94 if I don't have to. If anyone has any thoughts on the best alternative it would be greatly appreciated. Oh, they are both priced about 9,500.00 . Good deal or not? Thanks, Lex Lugar

if you're gonna get either, i'd say go for the '92. to my recollection, the engine didn't change, the body didn't change, the '92 has lower miles and if the '94 has cracks and leaks, i wouldn't take it, since you may have to fix it sooner or later when the cracks get bigger from heat, etc.

just my thought.

some info

Welcome. Buying a preowned vehicle is never very easy. We always learn something I guess. From what I read of your take - I would agree with Zeta and say; go with the 92. Lower miles, better condition. In selling price final agreement there is always room for negotiation. consult a blue book estimator to get an idea of what to the cars typically go for. Start from that point, make a judgement on the asking price - I'd say 9,500$ isn't unrealistic. Depending on the condition of the car could be a deal. Find any little mark or problem or issue that raises concern and use it as a bargaining piece to negotiate price on. Headlight condition, carpet, floormats, engine cleanliness, new belts, brake pad thickness, paint condition, door jambs, seat operation, on and on. Go from there. If you want the car and can afford it - go for it. The cars have a few things to look out for - being the power steering pump and alternator. Parts can be found on line fairly cheaply - cheaper than dealers, and you or an independent quality mechanic can do the job easily. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the information. I went ahead and bought the 92 for 9,000.00. I pick up the vehicle today. I am then going to have it serviced at a local import and classic dealer here in Indiana. WHen I test drove the vehicle it drove great. I used to own nissan 300 zx 's have had 3 since the early 90's . Wow, the sc drove better than the zx's and I loved the power from the v-8. I look forward to more communication with the rest of the group. This is a wonderful website. Thanks for putting it together. Lexlugar.

you paid $9k for a 92! Ouch. :( I paid $6200 for my 95 SC300 with a 165k on it. Even with the mileage and model difference, I got a good deal. If you still haven't paid for it. I would suggest waiting for a better deal, and expanding your search are to 300miles.

UCF3...

the car that lexlugar bought was an sc400 not an SC300 like yourself. the difference in engine size makes up for the 3k he paid extra for, plus he has lower miles than you. i say it was a good deal.

AWJ: You're welcomed to take a look at mine. One owner with highway mileage. The only thing that was wrong with the car was a minor dent and a few scratches on the bumpers and side panel. $200-500 worth of work professionally. That and the Trunk lid issue that AWJ and I wrote about on another post. Even the Lexus dealer was saying this is a good buy for the price I paying. And just to further my point, the car passed Maryland State inspection with flying colours. Maryland is one of those states where they will bill you $100 for State Inspection and you won't have to do it again, and it's through.

Zeta: So what if it's a SC400 with lower mileage than mine. Look at the stats below. from Kelly Blue Book.

Blue Book Private Party Report

Maryland • March 25, 2003

1992 Lexus SC 400 Sport Coupe 2D

Engine: V8 4.0 Liter

Trans: 4-Spd Auto Overdrive

Drive: Rear Wheel Drive

Mileage: 128,000

Equipment

Auto Climate Control

Power Steering

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Telescoping Wheel

Cruise Control

AM/FM Stereo

Cassette

Anti-Lock Braking

Leather

Dual Power Seats

Moon Roof

Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent This is the best condition of the car, and I know there's always something wrong.

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Private Party Value $7,125

Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

---Private Party Value is always higher.

http://kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.MD;7...400&12;LE;A4&&&

1992 Lexus SC 400 Sport Coupe 2D

Engine: V8 4.0 Liter

Trans: 4-Spd Auto Overdrive

Drive: Rear Wheel Drive

Mileage: 128,000

Equipment

Auto Climate Control

Power Steering

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Telescoping Wheel

Cruise Control

AM/FM Stereo

Cassette

Anti-Lock Braking

Leather

Dual Power Seats

Moon Roof

Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history is assumed. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $6,500

Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

For the Nakamichi, I would have added $400 max even if it's a rebuilt or $600 if it's brand new.

I hate to pick on you guys, Zeta and AWJ, but you're wrong in this case. I waited 1.5yrs and didn't follow through with 8- Sc300's and 400's because it would cost me more money in the long run. Patience does payoff.

Lexlugar: Congratulations on the car. I was wondering if there were any special equipment added to justify the extra cost? Something like aftermarket performance upgrades or even a very nice aftermarket stereo..

If you have those added then it might be worth $9500, but since you've already bought the car, it's too late to negotiate with your best poker face. I agree with AWJ that you didn't get ripped off badly, but you could have done better, in my opinion.

lexlugar paid a mere $2k above what was suggested on kbb.

it's a small price to pay for a great condition SC400... i still would have paid it just for the chance to have a last gen SC. it's just my own train of thought.

Actually, lexlugar SC is first Gen. Mine apparently is a second gen. The Taillights on mine is slightly different from the first gen, followed by the 97 SC's with the Crome on it--making it the 3rd Gen US. I really don't know why some people make that distinctions since not much has changed from the first.

I agree with you. I'm not particularly a big fan of the new SC, and I am definitely dissapointed with only one engine option.