Usefulness Of Navi Update

bluerx04

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of the navi update disk? I have the original disc that came with my 2004 RX330. Where I live the roads haven't changed much. If you are in the same situation, has the update been helpful? Perhaps for the POI?

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of the navi update disk? I have the original disc that came with my 2004 RX330. Where I live the roads haven't changed much. If you are in the same situation, has the update been helpful? Perhaps for the POI?

Usefulness = ZIP, NONE.

Borrow/Buy a garmin portable GPS and spend a few days comparing the capability. The shortcoming of your captive GPS isn't just the need for updates, it just simply does not have the route computation capabilty of any of these new portable GPS devices. Any many of those now come with lifetime map updates loaded via the internet.

You can purchase, typically, a new portable GPS, including lifetime updates, less expensively than an update disk.

As inexpensive as updates have become (<$200), I absolutely recommend updating your GPS maps. The following link describes the changes just from going from version 10.1 to 11.1 on your Gen 3 system: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/pdf_docs/2011_Release_Notes_GEN3_GEN223092011143410.pdf

The 2004 version you have is so old it is probably represented by Roman numerals! :rolleyes: