Cd Player-"no Data"

pj8708

I think this topic has come up only once before, but I searched and can't find it.

Why, when you play some CD's the Navigation screen will show "No Data" in all lines instead of showing the Song title, Album, and Artist. It does this on some original, store purchased CD's, but not all. On some home burned disk and on some new and old disk. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

One theory I thought about is their compressing rate is so high that they have striped/eliminated those bits to allow for more room to squeeze in more signal. Just a wild guess.

Any body know the REAL answer?

I think this topic has come up only once before, but I searched and can't find it.

Why, when you play some CD's the Navigation screen will show "No Data" in all lines instead of showing the Song title, Album, and Artist. It does this on some original, store purchased CD's, but not all. On some home burned disk and on some new and old disk. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

One theory I thought about is their compressing rate is so high that they have striped/eliminated those bits to allow for more room to squeeze in more signal. Just a wild guess.

Any body know the REAL answer?

Good question! I don't know the answer but I'm interested learn this as well. I generally use a thumb drive but have tried a couple of my older store bought CD's and they and they all report no data.

Steve

Same with me Steve. I use thumb drives and a mp3 player and all information is shown with no problem. I know that the Lexus sound system was designed with the Ipod in mind, but that shouldn't make any difference. The Ipod does work well with the system with the exception of a couple of quirks. My basic Sansa Fuze mp3 plays fine but has little interface function such as pulling up playlist, and it shuts off the whole head unit when you start the car up. You have to push the power on button on the radio to turn back on the mp3. Weird!

Some CD's are burned without "CD Text" which is explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

When you burn CD's at home, the play list information cannot be burned to the CD if it is not in the files used as input.

Hi Jim,

I read the Wiki article and understand the problem better. My burner does put down the text info using "Rhapsody" as it's media source. Still, why would the commercial CD vendors not put the text bytes on the tracks. According to the Wiki article it costs them nearly zero to do it.

I know, if this is the biggest problem in my life I must be pretty hard up! But, it just bugs me.

I'll send anyone the gas cap off of Jim's 1990 LS400 if you can answer this problem. LOL

itunes, windows media player, etc. all have ways to add the track info to the CD..just google the app you are using to burn the CD for additional info

regarding store bought CD's, can't remember the last time I bought one, but hard to believe they would not add the track info...disk space would not be an issue..maybe if the store bought CD is super old, I have plenty,lol..they do not have the track info..I will try one of mine

happy new year all

itunes, windows media player, etc. all have ways to add the track info to the CD..just google the app you are using to burn the CD for additional info

regarding store bought CD's, can't remember the last time I bought one, but hard to believe they would not add the track info...disk space would not be an issue..maybe if the store bought CD is super old, I have plenty,lol..they do not have the track info..I will try one of mine

happy new year all

I agree, it is hard to ubderstand, but some of my store bought CD's are only one year old and nada data!

I think I may have hit upon the final answer(no, there's no million bucks). This thread tells about the "Gracenote" data coding system Lexus uses to read the CD data, and how to make your CD's show all the information. Check these threads out:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53474