Security Malfunction

taf

The cigarette lighter in my recently purchased 1990 Lexus does not work. When I checked the fuses #5 was missing, which controls the lighters as well as security system. When the fuse was replaced the lighter worked but could not get my key out of ignition unless I removed the fuse. I would like to disable the security system without removing the fuse. Any suggestions?

Thanks Steve for your reply. it may sound strange but i can assure you the selector is in park. the only way i can get the key out is to remove the #5 fuse then it will come out easily. a previous owner must have known this, that is why the fuse was not in there when i bought it. the #5 fuse is for cig lighter,theft,shift lock and airbag. any other suggestions?

Do the brake lights work? The main thing I remember when my brake light switch on the top of the brake pedal lever failed on the 90 LS I had was that I had to use the shift lock override to move the shift lever out of Park. I don't remember the failed switch making the key impossible to remove from the ignition switch but it was a long time ago and I had the stop light switch replaced the next day.

Thanks Jim for your reply. The brake ligts work just fine. I am amazed that so little is wrong with this car after 21 or 22 yrs. It will just nag me till I can fiqure it out and get the cig lighters to work and not have to use the shift lock overdrive button. But if I never solve the issues it is still an amazing ride and I feel that my son would be safe driving it. Any other suggestions?