Need Help With My 91 Ls400! Shuts Off!

Clue LS Guy

hi everyone. i hope someone can help me out with this or at least help me figure out what the problem is.

so i own a 91 ls400 and ive had it for a little over a year now and just out of no where it started having electrical malfunctions. right after that happens the car started to shake then die. i thought it was the battery so i switched it and bought a new one and just a couple weeks later (today actually) it just happened again. i was coming home from a couple towns over and halfway back the cd player just shut off. i thought it was the cd player so i just ignored it for a few secs then my headlamps started to dim extremely low so i pulled into a parking lot to see what the problem was and a cop came up to me and said "turn your lights on" i said i cant lol! the car turned back on but the headlamps didnt. i got home and now wont start at all. nothing!

The first thing I would check is the alternator and if power steering fluid has leaked from the power steering pump reservoir onto the the alternator shorting it out. The gen 1 LS400 power steering pumps require constant monitoring. My 90 LS was on (I think) its 5th PS pump by the time I sold it after 13 1/2 years. When my alternator failed due to a PS pump leak, the symptoms were very similar to what you are experiencing.

The problem could be caused by something else but, on a gen 1 LS400, the alternator would be the first thing to check. If you PS pump is leaking get it rebuilt or a new one before you replace the alternator. And consider making a shield for the alternator from a plastic container

post-2157-0-48545500-1324214417_thumb.jp

Fix the leak and skip the plastic container. You'll just overheat the alternator and either the regulator or stator diodes (rectifier plate) will fry... Lexus engineers didn't design thermal fins, air circulating fan blade and vent holes just so someone could block them with a bleach bottle.

I agree with curiousB about fixing the thing.

However, these same farseeing engineers put the durn alternator in a most disagreeable spot if the PS springs a leak!! I would (I actually have used a metal shield) take the precaution of using a shield, but using spacers to keep the plastic away from the alternator body to allow air circulation.