2000 Gs300 Sound In Engine Compartment

The wife's 2000 GD300 started making a strange sound today. To me it almost sounds like a vacum sound around the timing belt cover. It does it at idol and while running under load. I was thinking maybe a water pump?

The wife's 2000 GD300 started making a strange sound today. To me it almost sounds like a vacum sound around the timing belt cover. It does it at idol and while running under load. I was thinking maybe a water pump?

Hi 10ga,

Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club and the 136,000 members around the world.

Your question is a little vague...could you explain some more about the noise. For example, how did it start, what kind of driving were you doing, have you had any previous engine repairs, or any maintenance work done recently. How many miles on the GS? WHY do you think it's the water pump and what would you like a LOC member to help you with....confirm your suspicion, maybe offer another option for the solution.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

I figured it out, it has a bad Tensioner Pulley. I have one on it's way but I'm still having sticker shock........$215 at Lexus. After market part was $185 so I decided to go with the Lexus part.

It's probably to late, but for future needs, the LOC has a relationship with Sewell Lexus in Dallas, TX. They offer hefty discounts on parts to all LOC members. Simply go to Sewellparts.com - and register as a Lexus Owners Club member. It would be interesting to know if they are cheaper that what you paid for the part you already purchased.

Paul

I appreciate the information. It was part #16620, the TENSIONER ASSEMBLY for the drive belt. Price was $192.22. I got it this afternoon and put it on, everything works and sounds the way it's suppose to again. Thanks for the help and feedback.

I do have another question that maybe you can help me with. The headlight covers are really oxidized, what is the best product to clear them back up? I would also like to put some better headlight on it, any suggestions? The ones that are on it are not very bright but I'm sure the condition of the covers has some to do with it.