2013 Lexus Gs 350 F Sport Vs Mercedes-Benz E350 Vs Bmw 535I Race Track

The G Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, all we have is specs to talk about now, I still think that this gen of GS will be an improvement over the last. Rather that translate to better sales numbers remains to be seen. I am sure it will sell better at the beginning, but how well will it sell in year 2 or 3 is the big question. As the new GS improved, so has the competition, the Audi A6 is quickest in class and the 5 series is still the handling champ. The E350 is the most comfortable, the GS has always been the bargain of the bunch. The German realize this and have step up as well in the price department, or should I say step down,, a well equipped Audi A6 premium plus can be had for around $50K and a well quipped 2012 BMW 528i can be bought for around $55K. The 2012 BMW 528i will have the new turbo 4 cyl engine which gets 23 city/34 highway mpg and still sprint from 0-60 MPH in 6.2 seconds.

The early reviews of the Turbo 4cyl say that its not as smooth as the 6 though. Personally, I think the GS350 really specs out as compared to the 535. The 528 is less car for still more money...

And the Audi A6 in US market is not selling well versus E and 5 series, doesn't have same appeal to premium car buyers. Let 's see how new GS sells, last gen sales had sunk terribly.

And the Audi A6 in US market is not selling well versus E and 5 series, doesn't have same appeal to premium car buyers. Let 's see how new GS sells, last gen sales had sunk terribly.

Globally, the A6 is the number one selling midsize luxury sedan, the GS's sales numbers are near the bottom of the chart.

And the Audi A6 in US market is not selling well versus E and 5 series, doesn't have same appeal to premium car buyers.

Do you have a source on that? I'd like to see it.

Be sure its the NEW A6...not the old A6.

And the Audi A6 in US market is not selling well versus E and 5 series, doesn't have same appeal to premium car buyers.

I saw December 2011 A6 sales earlier (news on Audi's US website), about 1900 units which is actually very good, but most likely well under E-class and 5 series sales for the same month. So by Audi standards in the US market, those are impressive sales numbers for a mid-sized premium sedan.

I saw December 2011 A6 sales earlier (news on Audi's US website), about 1900 units which is actually very good, but most likely well under E-class and 5 series sales for the same month. So by Audi standards in the US market, those are impressive sales numbers for a mid-sized premium sedan.

Its all relative. Audi's sales goals are likely not those of the 5 Series or E Class. Audi is a lower volume automaker with a smaller dealer network than BMW or Mercedes. 1900 units in December (which is a bad month, typically) puts them on track to do 25,000-30,000 units potentially, when you consider that the 5 Series probably sells 40,000-45,000 units a year and the E Class sells about the same probably. Not bad.

Success isn't necessarily only being #1. So to say that it "sells poorly compared to the 5 Series and E Class" is to imply that the car is a failure by comparison, which is really not the case.

Anyways, after driving a car for years that everybody and their brother drives, theres something to be said for something thats a little unusual. I've kind of felt like maybe next time I might move up to something a class higher than the ES, like a 5 or E...but you literally see them EVERYWHERE here.

^ GS350 (2013 only) might fit the bill, I expect it to have a huge increase in sales from current gen but to still be easily outsold by E-class and 5 series.

To me (having seen it in person) it has similar appeal to new 5, a car that I consider to be "best in class" currently. :geek: Of course that is highly subjective....

Agreed, #1 to me isn't top-selling, therefore I've never owned a Camry/F-150/CRV/3-series, etc.

The global sales number on the new A6 is very hard to find since its only been on the market here for 4 months, but the new A6 is selling much better than the last gen so far.

Here is a quote on autospies.com regarding the worldwide sales leader in the midsize luxury sedan sector:

"With Audi's A6 already outselling both BMW's 5-series and Mercedes-Benz's E-class worldwide "

http://www.autospies.com/news/2012-Audi-A6-vs-2011-BMW-535i-Edmunds-InsideLine-Showdown-65797/

The global sales number on the new A6 is very hard to find since its only been on the market here for 4 months, but the new A6 is selling much better than the last gen so far.

Here is a quote on autospies.com regarding the worldwide sales leader in the midsize luxury sedan sector:

"With Audi's A6 already outselling both BMW's 5-series and Mercedes-Benz's E-class worldwide "

http://www.autospies.com/news/2012-Audi-A6-vs-2011-BMW-535i-Edmunds-InsideLine-Showdown-65797/

Where is your A6 manufactured?,,,,,just an interesting tid-bit.

"AUDI INDIA

Audi sells the A4, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, TT, R8 and S/RS models in India. Audi competes in a niche market along with BMW and Daimler-Chrysler's Mercedes cars and sold 2,802 (3,003 cars in 2010) in the first half of 2011. Audi assembles the A4, A6 and Q5 models at ŠkodaAuto's plant located at Aurangabad, Maharashtra while the other models are imported from Ingolstadt, Germany. Audi cars are available through 15 dealers across India."

Googled "audi A6 units exported Germany for 2011"

"AUDI INDIA

Audi sells the A4, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, TT, R8 and S/RS models in India. Audi competes in a niche market along with BMW and Daimler-Chrysler's Mercedes cars and sold 2,802 (3,003 cars in 2010) in the first half of 2011. Audi assembles the A4, A6 and Q5 models at ŠkodaAuto's plant located at Aurangabad, Maharashtra while the other models are imported from Ingolstadt, Germany. Audi cars are available through 15 dealers across India."

My A6 is a US model, so its made in Germany. Audi have been making cars in China for the Asian market for a while. The India plant is pretty new.

"AUDI INDIA

My A6 is a US model, so its made in Germany. Audi have been making cars in China for the Asian market for a while. The India plant is pretty new.

My post is just a ribbing, don't take it too seriously.....kind of like..where was your Lexus made? Next to a nuclear reactor that melted down... I don't mind though because it makes my car unique from all my neighbors. It's the only one that glows in the dark! I know,...don't quit your day job.

Its interesting where all these cars are built. For instance when I was trying to find BMW sales figures for the 5 Series, look at all the places I found where it is made:

Dingolfing, Germany

Toluca, Mexico[1][2]

Chennai, India[3]

Cairo, Egypt

Shenyang, China

Jakarta, Indonesia

Kaliningrad, Russia

6th of October City, Egypt

Tehran, Iran (CKD)

Manaus, Brazil

Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia[4]

Its interesting where all these cars are built. For instance when I was trying to find BMW sales figures for the 5 Series, look at all the places I found where it is made:

Dingolfing, Germany

Toluca, Mexico[1][2]

Chennai, India[3]

Cairo, Egypt

Shenyang, China

Jakarta, Indonesia

Kaliningrad, Russia

6th of October City, Egypt

Tehran, Iran (CKD)

Manaus, Brazil

Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia[4]

And the conservatives still believe we're not a global economy. Yeah...wrong forum I know...still, it's pretty fr... obvious.

Car engines and parts are usually made in a difference location or country than where the car is actually assemble. When one buys an American car, a lot of parts are from Japan, China or where ever, how much are helping the local economy by buying American cars are up for debate.

Glad I'm selling for Mercedes.....just read that the "R Class" made "Auto Blog's" top ten worst sellers for 2011.

The "R class" at a MSRP of $52,690, sold a whoping 2,385 units. And thats after the refresh of the whole suv's appearance for 2011.

Glad I'm selling for Mercedes.....just read that the "R Class" made "Auto Blog's" top ten worst sellers for 2011.

The "R class" at a MSRP of $52,690, sold a whoping 2,385 units. And thats after the refresh of the whole suv's appearance for 2011.

Paul, are you a Mercedes sales manager or salesman? I never did understand the R class, its one of the ugliest car ever made and yet Mercedes just give up on it.

Paul, are you a Mercedes sales manager or salesman? I never did understand the R class, its one of the ugliest car ever made and yet Mercedes just give up on it.

This is pretty embarrasing....I always proof read my post before I hit the button, but this time I really screwed up!! The first sentence should have read, "Glad I'm NOT selling for Mercedes....." I have never sold cars nor had a business interest in a dealership.

Before I retired, I was involved in marketing and sales of large telecommunications equipment. Never had a problem with a ugly hatch-back hub..LOL

This is pretty embarrasing....I always proof read my post before I hit the button, but this time I really screwed up!! The first sentence should have read, "Glad I'm NOT selling for Mercedes....." I have never sold cars nor had a business interest in a dealership.

Before I retired, I was involved in marketing and sales of large telecommunications equipment. Never had a problem with a ugly hatch-back hub..LOL

:) :) For a moment, I thought I was talking to a Mercedes sales guy :) :)

I am retiring in a few years and thought about selling cars part time once I retire, but the way cars are sold these days, mostly pre-priced thru the internet, its very hard for a car salesman to make a good living. A friend of mine sells Acura and he said the only way to make a decent living selling cars now are high volume and the high volume car sale business is very competitive.

I have a nephew in Virgina that contracts with six dealers to buy cars at auction for their dealerships. It is nothing for him to have all of his 16 acre storage lot full of hundreds of cars going back and forth from the auction house to the dealers. He told me some time ago that he lost his love for cars a long time ago. Now, it's just another "unit" to move and sell.

I'd rather own one and love it like my ES.

Yeah its really hard to make a living as a car salesman anymore. I used to consult with car dealers...

I really think that all things being equal, it is not just selling cars, but almost every type of business is competitive to the point where margins are stretched like a piano wire. I have to think hard about the last purchase of any substance,(say over even $100 bucks,) that I did not check first on the Internet and ended up buying. How can my locals compete against that! But hey, I was in my recliner, it was below 30' outside, I found several vendors at the right price, and free shipping...yes, the thing would come right to my front door! No wear and tear on my Lexus.

I am truly thankful I am not in a sole proprietor set-up today, trying to compete with Wallmart, Costco, Macy's ...etc. Even my Lexus dealer has over a 1/2 dozen people in their Internet sales dept. They do a tremendous amount of volume. Competition isn't everything, but it's way ahead of what's ever in first place.

I agree, internet sales is good for the consumer but bad for the mom and pop stores. If the internet sets the price, then the only way to make more profit is by volume.

By the way, congrats to the designer of this site, the new design looks great.

I agree, internet sales is good for the consumer but bad for the mom and pop stores. If the internet sets the price, then the only way to make more profit is by volume.

By the way, congrats to the designer of this site, the new design looks great.

Steve, the founder of the LOC, is the brains behind the new look. He lives in the UK and does a super job of keeping the site up and running. I was kind of suprised this morning when I tried to sign on. Each time I tried the web address it said no such address. That went on for about fifteen minutes. Finally, I connected and voila!...there was the new look!! pretty cool.