Temporary Fix For Minor Steering Rack Leak?

prix

Just wondered if there is anything on the market for the problem (temporary fix). Not ready to replace the rack...only see about a 2" drop of fluid on garage floor on occasion. Have been advised it is leaking by mechanic. Also have heard/read on some sites that it's a good idea to replace pump, rack and hoses all at same time, as if one element gets contaminated, could effect all others. I had a hose leak, and only replaced the hose. I now have a minjoir power steering leak. Not sure I see the connection, or why 'contaminated' fluid could effect a big metal part. Thoughts? Should I replace all at once? That would be tres cher (expensive!)

• 8 months later...

I agree on the Lucas additive: it is about $6 a bottle at O'reilly's here in Houston, but you will notice instant improvement. They offer a money back guarantee after using two bottles of it - I was skeptical even though it slowed down the leak right away. Now, at about 1.5 bottles being run through, I think the leak has stopped.

What do you have to lose?

Tom

My mechanic doesn't like the use of those products. He said that those products can create more problems later on. He said that it may clog the whole system. But if you want a temp fix... i suppose thats not bad... n if u plan to change the whole system later when you have the $$$, then its fine.

But then again i understand y he may tell me that he doesn't like the use of the products... probably b/c he can also squeeze some money off of me. Hahahaha. But he may be right too.

Let me tell u... the Power Steering pump is $$$$.... n i'm sure the Rack n Pinion is going to b a heck of a lot more than the P/S pump.

I too like Lucas products, but if you're able to cough up the money to replace the steering rack and pump then by all means do so. A temporary fix is just a temporary fix...all the Lucas power steering stop leak stuff does is it swells up the seals in your system.