Where Is My Ps Fluid Going?

mattbys

I fought the ACV but the ACV won!!

I couldn't get it off. I was able to get the 17mm wrench on it but there was too much play as if the tips were stripped. Not wanting to round it off all the way, I called my mechanic and explained the situation. He knew exactly what I was talking about (the ACV) and said they would charge one hour of labor to replace it. Will bring it in and let them do it.

Then I did a stupid thing, I tried to take the vacuum hose off at the manifold and it broke off at the end, too brittle. Now I've got to replace that as well. Does anyone know the I.D. and O.D. measurements of the hose off hand?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont have to replace the plastic manifold nipple if you are just going to plug the acv. Like me, you can just use an appropriate screw and epoxy glue to seal it off...and a plug on the metal manifold nipple.

Feel free to break off the plastic part partly covering the acv wrench slots so that you can get the wrench on it good.

After getting the wrench on it horizontally, push it downward with a metal pipe or something that will rest on the wrench head. Pipe will be vertical, wrench horizontal with pipe's hole resting on the wrench's head. I hope im making sense.

I didnt have a pipe so i used some rachet extentions and spark plug socket.

Thanks Bali26, however I already bought the ACV from Irontoad, I just couldn't get the old one off.

Actually, I just got back from the mechanic who replaced it for me. They saw my bad vacuum hose and fixed it buy adding a new 5-inch section of hose with a coupler.

All done for $81US.

I really wish I could have done it myself but I didn't want to make things worse by forcing it off. I had contemplated breaking off the plastic parts of the ACV while on the vehicle but didn't want to do that only to find out there is more metal under the plastic that was larger than the 17mm "nut".

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

hi about the air control valve on my 91 ls400 i bought it recently and i notice the top manifold have no hose down to the air control valve just have a little rubber nipple on the manifold and another rubber nipple on the air inlet side could this cause any damage to the engine/air control valve/PS pump?? is it alright to just leave as it is??

hi about the air control valve on my 91 ls400 i bought it recently and i notice the top manifold have no hose down to the air control valve just have a little rubber nipple on the manifold and another rubber nipple on the air inlet side could this cause any damage to the engine/air control valve/PS pump?? is it alright to just leave as it is??

Well if it is leaking air into the manifold your idle will be messed up. Better to cap it off so no air drawn into manifold. As for the other end probably a good idea to seal that up too or you'll be spilling PS fluid in the engine compartment. Many have eliminated the ACV and not complained much. Its somewhat of an esoteric feature and only relevant on idle speed steering.