Transmission Question Es300 1996 Emergency

Hi all, I'm hoping that you guys can help me like you have in the past!

I have a 1996 Lexus with 149,000 miles. She has been a wonderful car and been serviced regularly through a local repair shop. Had some gasket work done 2-3 years ago, at one point the engine light came on & they were unable to diagnose and cleaned the spark plugs & she seemed good as new. Since the gasket work, she has burned oil - I would say I put in a quart every month to 6 weeks. I check it twice a week/cold.

At my last oil change, the service station (a new one/old one out of business) told me that there was some "hesitation" in the transmission and I should have a "transmission tune up" (is that the same thing as a flush?). I didn't schedule it at the time, but now, about 3 months later, she is definitely running rough - mostly in the first 5 minutes after start-up. She's idling pretty high and the hesitation thing is much more noticeable - have to say though, that she seems to run fairly well once she is warmed up. I decided to go ahead & make the appointment for the transmission flush & have it scheduled for tomorrow.

But then I called my local Lexus dealer for another estimate. They told me that they didn't do flushes - that they would basically drain the transmission fluid & replace it (for $149) - and said a flush could cause problems. They recommended bringing it in for a diagnostics ($106). Their prices were considerably higher than the service station ($149 for the transmission fluid drain/replace vs the service station quote of $79 for a flush).

Frankly I am all alone here and not terribly trusting of the local mechanics (or the dealership for that matter). I've gotten really helpful answers here from you before and am hoping you can give me some advice. Many thanks for your help!

Pam

I would suggest taking it to another shop. You need to make sure that the engine is running properly before looking at the trans as having a problem. You did not mention if the check engine light is on, but the fact that it runs rough for the first 5 mins would be the first thing to correct. How long ago was the last full tune up?

Have you checked the transmission oil level? What does the oil look like? Avoid a transmission flush, too many issues involved there. I would suggest shopping around more for a independent repair shop. They are out there, it just takes awhile to find one that you are comfortable with. When you talk with them, keep in mind that their side. I used to turn wrenches professionally, and got tired of putting up with the BS. Yes some shop owners push the up sell and that stuff. But there are also the customers that come in am tell you what is wrong with their cars, and exactly what you should repair. They will then scoff at you opinion and only authorize what they think should be repaired. They will then complain when it still does not work.

I would suggest taking it to another shop. You need to make sure that the engine is running properly before looking at the trans as having a problem. You did not mention if the check engine light is on, but the fact that it runs rough for the first 5 mins would be the first thing to correct. How long ago was the last full tune up?

Have you checked the transmission oil level? What does the oil look like? Avoid a transmission flush, too many issues involved there. I would suggest shopping around more for a independent repair shop. They are out there, it just takes awhile to find one that you are comfortable with. When you talk with them, keep in mind that their side. I used to turn wrenches professionally, and got tired of putting up with the BS. Yes some shop owners push the up sell and that stuff. But there are also the customers that come in am tell you what is wrong with their cars, and exactly what you should repair. They will then scoff at you opinion and only authorize what they think should be repaired. They will then complain when it still does not work.

Thanks for your advice. I live in a very well to do area and am not comfortable w/ any of the local shops but there is a shop in Philadelphia where I am very comfortable and trust them so I have scheduled an appt there. It occurred to me that it might be the timing belt. Fortunately I can walk most anywhere local so I will try to keep the driving to a minimum until next week.

I hear what you're saying about "telling them what's wrong with the car" - it's just hard when you're female and have been taken.

Definetly do not do a flush....A drain and fill is recommended, and I watch so many folks that have failures after a flush.....Amsoil even supports the drain and fill on old transmissions....