Brake Question

Jazoo

My LS430 has approx. 42K miles. The brakes work fine I inspected the brakes on all four wheels the other day and noticed that all the rotors looked OK but the pads thickness varied from 4mm to 5 mm. My questions are:

1. At what minimum thickness the pads should be replaced?

2. Where should I purchase the OEM pads?

3. What is the pads removal sequence? I mean first remove the hair pin/clip, then slided out the stainless steel rod, and then remove the brake pads?

4. Do I need to apply an anti-squeeling grease/lubricant on each shim?

Thanks

My LS430 has approx. 42K miles. The brakes work fine I inspected the brakes on all four wheels the other day and noticed that all the rotors looked OK but the pads thickness varied from 4mm to 5 mm. My questions are:

3. What is the pads removal sequence? I mean first remove the hair pin/clip, then slided out the stainless steel rod, and then remove the brake pads?

Thanks

Just my 2 cents, but I replaced when they started squealing. I went OEM in the rear ($90) and non OEM in the front ($40), and no lubricant- but they squeal occasionally. And watch for the sensors attached to the pads with clips. Lost a clip to one and the "replace brakes" light is still on the dash.

D

I replace the pads when they get about 1/2 worn out. When the pads get old they also become glazed and don't work as well. The dealership prices for OEM pads is just ridiculous. I ordered have ordered all my brake pads through irontoad.com where they are around $60 a set. Irontoad is great and my pads were delivered in a factory box from a Lexus dealership in Penna. I won't use aftermarkets since they always seem to dust badly.

To change them, just loosen the lower caliper bolts and rotate the inner portion up. Then remove the wishbone springs and pads being careful to keep the 2 inner plates in the correct order. I didn't use any anti-sieze, just cleaned everything up. I clean up the rubber piston boot then use one of the old pads and a c-clamp to push the piston back into the cylinder. It has to go all the way in or the new pads will not fit over the disc. Install the new pads with the plates, reinsert the wishbones and rotate the caliper down into it's seat. The inner caliper is spring loaded so you will have to pull the caliper toward you to position the new pads over the disc. This is a very easy job and I have actually done the entire process with the Lexus onboard tool kit and a c0clamp. Remember to check your fluid level when completed.

Thanks

Lie down until the urge to replace your brake pads prematurely passes.

The wear sensors on the front and rear brake pads won't trigger a warning on your trip computer until pad thickness is well under 3 mm. Start thinking about replacing brake pads when the pad thickness falls below 3 mm or wait for the warning message. Waiting for the warning message may mean having to replace a wear sensor -- they don't cost all that much. The wear sensor on my 00 LS400 front pads didn't trigger a trip computer warning message until over 71,000 miles.

Rear brake pads last far longer than front pads. I had the rear pads replaced for the first time on my 00 LS400 recently during the 120,000 mile service and they could have gone longer. I had them replaced since I doubted that they would last until the 150K service and didn't want to make an extra trip just to get the pads replaced and the rotors turned.

There are plenty of threads on this forum and opinions vary. Having done it both ways, I would never replace pads without resurfacing the rotors.

You probably spent a lot of $$$ for your 06 LS430 -- why skimp when doing a brake job since it's needed so rarely.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

The wear sensors on the front and rear brake pads won't trigger a warning on your trip computer until pad thickness is well under 3 mm. Start thinking about replacing brake pads when the pad thickness falls below 3 mm or wait for the warning message. Waiting for the warning message may mean having to replace a wear sensor -- they don't cost all that much. The wear sensor on my 00 LS400 front pads didn't trigger a trip computer warning message until over 71,000 miles.

Rear brake pads last far longer than front pads. I had the rear pads replaced for the first time on my 00 LS400 recently during the 120,000 mile service and they could have gone longer. I had them replaced since I doubted that they would last until the 150K service and didn't want to make an extra trip just to get the pads replaced and the rotors turned.

There are plenty of threads on this forum and opinions vary. Having done it both ways, I would never replace pads without resurfacing the rotors.

You probably spent a lot of $$$ for your 06 LS430 -- why skimp when doing a brake job since it's needed so rarely.

Thanks

http://clublexus.com/forums/ls430/271372-replacing-brake-pads-on-my-ls430-was-cake.html instructions to replace

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/ order brakes here

When my ES330 hit 60,000 miles, I had a local Toyota dealer replace the front pads and turn the rotors for $300. I know some people advocate waiting until they are worn out but changing the fronts at 60K isn't unreasonable. Brakes are kind of important to me.