Headlight Levelers Frozen?

hoho223

The dash light to indicate "headlight leveler malfunction" is on and flashing and my lights are not leveling. :censored: Frozen mechanism, broken parts, any ideas? Expensive to fix? Accessible and fixable by me?

Have you checked your fuses? I don't know if the circuitry of the your 05 ES headlight leveling system is anything like the one in my 00 LS but the PWR-IG fuse in my car's engine compartment fuse box has the headlight leveling circuit on it.

My LS has a level control sensor for the headlight leveling system on the front and rear suspension -- I assume your ES does too. I wonder if f these things can get knocked loose, damaged, or frozen up by driving in snow and slush. I've never had a problem but I park I have a garage where it never falls below freezing -- maybe mine thaws out.

There is a diagnostic procedure for the headlight leveling system in my LS in the repair manuals I bought when I purchased the car -- probably not the same as for your ES. It involves checking pins in the connectors for the headlight leveling system for voltage, continuity and resistance. I don't know if I could follow the instructions if I had to. They are not very clear about the location of some of the connectors -- probably assume a level of knowledge that a Lexus mechanic would have.

I doubt if having the problem diagnosed would be real expensive. And if the fuse isn't burned out, maybe the leveling system will start working again when the weather warms up.

The dash light to indicate "headlight leveler malfunction" is on and flashing and my lights are not leveling. :censored: Frozen mechanism, broken parts, any ideas? Expensive to fix? Accessible and fixable by me?

Yeah, check the leveling sensor. It'll be located between one of the wheel control arms and the under body of the car. It'll look like a small arm connecting the control arm to the body of the car.

I have the same problem i went to my mechanics he told me that in the RR right by the control arm on the 05 es330 there is a self levering sensor and it goes out quite often, my mechanic told me to call the Lexus dealer and get the sensor its $400 does anybody know where to get one cheaper??? can i adjust it by myself manually?

I have the same problem i went to my mechanics he told me that in the RR right by the control arm on the 05 es330 there is a self levering sensor and it goes out quite often, my mechanic told me to call the Lexus dealer and get the sensor its $400 does anybody know where to get one cheaper??? can i adjust it by myself manually?

http://www.parts.com

Part number 89407-48010

Height sensor, es330 - es330 - ES330 2004-2006

$262.90

Oh god, no need to spend any money for a new sensor... Most likely you just need to take it apart and clean it a bit.

The "sensor" is actually a simple device, just a potentiometer. The internals are really simple and easy to take apart, clean, and reassemble. Likely water has gotten in and is building up on the springs. I've done it before on my old Rx300, it's really simple to take apart and reinstall.