1994 Ls 400 Electrical Issues

Larry W

Since the temperature here in Fort Lauderdale has dropped I've had this flickering dash board light issue. It starts out illuminated and after a few minutes the dash lights flicker, then the indicators, and then it goes black. After about 15 minutes the dash lights flicker again and then stay illuminated for the rest of the day (even its parked for 8 hours). I'll be checking the wiring loom by the trunk this morning. I really feel its something else but I'll check every item you can recommend. Anyone else had this problem? Also all of a sudden the r/r window doesn't work. No motor sound or draw on electrical has been noted. I would like to fix both problems asap. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I'll be checking the r/r window motor itself for a replacement. Still can't figure out the dash board issue. Temps dropped from 49 degrees last night to 36 and the dash remained illuminated. This morning its not. Very frustrating. :(

Type "Lexus LS400 dash illumination" into google and see the solution appear on the screen if you can solder you can fix it yourself in an hour.

I just repaired my gauge cluster lighting. They were flickering and most of the time not even coming on when its cold, but like you, once they came on, they were on for the rest of the day. What you have to do to fix it is replace a couple capacitors on the circut boards insde the cluster. If you do, get the capacitors that are meant for a wide temerature range so they don't do the same thing. I can solder alright and had no problem installing a new head unit for my sterio, but the capacitors are a royal pain to solder. I had them done by a pro and it took him a hour just to replcae the two tiny little things. Cluster removel, dissassembly, and reassembly took me a total of about 4 hours. It was my first time and I was patient so it will be faster if you have had experience with it. Heck if you want send me your cluster and I'll replace those little capacitors for about $100 :D .

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know this lighting was a problem on the '93 and '94 model LS 400, but does anyone know if it was also a problem for the '92? My '92 LS has just started doing the flickering lighting thing and the lighting dies out after a few minutes.

Is the fix the same for the '92, or is it something different? I have already done the wiring in the trunk, so don't think that is the problem.

TIA

Mike

Best Advice I have read on these Forums about Dash Electrical Problems was: SLAP THE TOP OF THE DASH WITH THE PALM OF YOUR HAND. Fixed my Speedo not working couple of times, and my Tack not registering yesterday. Might work for your lighting.

Living with slow fuel guage and slow leak in PS $1000 arm assy, by topping off PS Fluid when it growls.

Living with Dead LCD for clock and burnt out backlights for radio. 1994 LS400 135K miles.

Retired, Driven Weekly to store for more smokes.

the dash light problem is for all of the first gen. 1990-94. Slapping the top of the dash is only for sticking needles, or when the needles wont move off zero. The backlighting is caused by a couple capacitors as well as the slow movng gas gauge. I opened up the gauge cluster and repaired the capacitors whuch cured the problem.

KillerFatty,

Thank you for the info. My search through all the past threads led me to believe that the capacitor problem was specific to the '93-'94 model years, but looks like it also affects the earlier ones too. Now I am going to have to get in and do some surgery!!!

:lol:

Just be carefull taking the gauge cluster apart. It is simple and fairly straight foward, just unscrew and unclip, but the needles and circut boards are pretty delicate. Check out my thread on my gauge cluster repair.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=capacitor

killerFatty,

Thank you for the tips and the link. The information you posted in your thread s very helpful, as is your success story! I will be ordering the parts very soon and then give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Mike