New To Lexus

Musada

So i was looking into joining the Lexus Society and narrowed it down between the 2. An early 90s model LS 400 or a GS 300. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between the 2 as far as reliability goes? Both at about 200k miles

I don't know much about the GS, but early 90s models have a problem with the trunk wiring harness that can cause all kinds of unusual electrical problems. It's a relatively simple and cheap fix, though. From what I've read on this forum, the biggest problem first generation LS400s have is related to the power steering system. The power steering pump leaks onto the alternator and destroys it. The power steering system itself also seems to develop problems for a lot of people.

Also, LS400s require changing the suspension bushings in order to maintain that buttery smooth ride.

So i was looking into joining the Lexus Society and narrowed it down between the 2. An early 90s model LS 400 or a GS 300. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between the 2 as far as reliability goes? Both at about 200k miles

I'm a big believer in electronic stability control, and as such I would recommend skipping any LS before 1997 (I believe that's when it was added). I think the GS got it at the same model year, but it might not have been standard then.

I'm a big believer in electronic stability control, and as such I would recommend skipping any LS before 1997 (I believe that's when it was added). I think the GS got it at the same model year, but it might not have been standard then.

I think it was added in the '98 model year.

Stability control is great, and I'd take it over a model that didn't have it, but I wouldn't cut cars off the list just because they don't have it.

from reading this forum, it appears the first gen LS's '90-94, have more problems than the 2nd gen 95-00.

I speak from experience also, having had 6 LS's and my 2 97's are the most trouble free.

I have not had any 98-00 models, driven several but they failed to impress me as an improvement over the 97's....

my opinion only counts to me... and I understand that...

BUT if all I could afford is a first gen, I would try for a 93-94, and would not worry about the miles....

and I know nothing about the GS...

cheers

The GS accomidates a more aggressive driving style while the LS is (when WELL maintained) a silky smoth cruiser. The brakes were upgraded in 93 as well as a few other things on the LS, so if your getting a first gen go for 93-94 if possible. I have not had any issues with the engine or trans in my 93LS. The only (non-collision caused) problems I've had was a slight chugging at 40-50 mph which was fixed by some new plugs and wires. I cleaned the throttle body, changed all fluids (coolant, oil, tranny, and diff.), fixed trunk wiring and havn't been forced into any more work since. Which ever you buy you will be happy with the reliability. Lexus should last many more than 200K miles.

Thx you for your input guys, I bought a 90 LS 400 2 days ago for 2200. Has 118k miles and is very clean. The previous owner took greatcare of it, and it alsp had a fresh paint job. I love how it rides.

Bravo! Sounds like a nice car and an awesome deal. KBB PPV on that car is around $3400.

Thx you for your input guys, I bought a 90 LS 400 2 days ago for 2200. Has 118k miles and is very clean. The previous owner took greatcare of it, and it alsp had a fresh paint job. I love how it rides.

Bravo! Sounds like a nice car and an awesome deal. KBB PPV on that car is around $3400.

Hey, how do you take the magezine out of the cd changer? is it supposed to just pop out when you hit the open button?

Hey, how do you take the magezine out of the cd changer? is it supposed to just pop out when you hit the open button?

Not sure... mine dont have that option. I have been unfortunate enough for both of my LS400s to be plain jane models, with only two options... leather and sunroof. Both were optioned identical. :rolleyes: