Tire Millage

Our LS460 is just coming up 2 years old. Only 21000 miles and has never been back to the dealer. Gas millage is unreal. Gets up to 35 mpg on the highway at 70+.

However the Dunlop OEM tires just wore out.Chunks of rubber are peeling off. I can't believe a car of this caliber would be sold with such junk. Got a quote from Tire Rack of over $1000. That would be an annual cost of $500 + for tires./ Not for me.

So I bought a weird tire I'm not familiar with, Hankook . They seem to get good reviews but I know nothing. Paid $600 installed. Hope this works out.

What length of tire life do you get?

Our old LS 400 never had a problem with tires but it did eat ball joints.

What kind of hankook is it exactly?

Tires usually have a tread wear rating. They are not an exact guide but help it determining the expected life.

Also, making sure have your alignment in spec, proper tire pressures and tire rotations every 5,000 miles help with even wear and promote longer life.

Tire Rotation info - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...?techid=43&

Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...?techid=48&

The treadwear rating is a measurement of the tire's durability, but not the projected tread life. It is important to remember that road surfaces, driving habits, and other factors determine actual tread life. Each tire manufacturer independently determines treadwear through their own tests. Treadwear is not based on any one industry or government standard.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/b...ingSidewall.jsp

More info on tread wear ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

Other places to get tires:

www.discounttiredirect.com - their prices may seem higher than tire rack but their prices including shipping. They also have great specials.

www.tirerack.com

www.vulcantire.com

www.bigbeartire.com

Ali

Our LS460 is just coming up 2 years old. Only 21000 miles and has never been back to the dealer. Gas millage is unreal. Gets up to 35 mpg on the highway at 70+.

However the Dunlop OEM tires just wore out.Chunks of rubber are peeling off. I can't believe a car of this caliber would be sold with such junk. Got a quote from Tire Rack of over $1000. That would be an annual cost of $500 + for tires./ Not for me.

So I bought a weird tire I'm not familiar with, Hankook . They seem to get good reviews but I know nothing. Paid $600 installed. Hope this works out.

I bought my 2007 LS460 new and now with just under 15K miles the OE Bridgestone Turanza EL42s are almost worn out. At 8K miles I noticed uneven wear and had the car aligned under warranty. The tires were rotated/balanced every 5,000 miles and I check the tire pressures regularly with both the TPMS and a digital gauge (34 lbs cold all around). Although they are smooth riding and quiet, I expected to get at least 25,000 miles out of them, even with only a 260 UTQG mileage rating. My next tires will be Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus with UTQG of 500 AA A and a manufacturer's treadwear warranty of 45,000 miles.

UPDATE: 2/25/2010: I replaced the OE Bridgestones at 15,000 miles with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and have 800 miles on the new tires from Costco. Installation/balance is perfect. Ride quality is very smooth and quiet and wet grip is excellent - we had historic rains in Atlanta and this tire was much better than the OE Bridgestone (sure, it's brand new with full tread depth). I'll follow up after 5K miles, but so far I'm pleased. Expensive, but worth it!

Dunlops on the whole have pretty poor treadwear...

Hankook tires on the Lexus? I wouldn't. Tires are very important to how a Lexus rides and drives...lots of tires with better treadwear you could have bought.

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2007 ls460 has 42K miles and I replaced the original turanza el42 tires at 40K with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I bought the new tires about 3 months ago at America's Tire for $915 after $100 rebate - This beat Costco and Tirerack.

So far the new tires are performing well - I hope to get about 50K miles out of these tires.

Archie, your logic fails me, you hate the junky tires the dealer put on the car but when you had the chance to replace your tires with something better you didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Speed rating has a lot to do with tire wear.

The higher the speed rating the faster the tire wears out because the tread is made

with a softer rubber compound.

I dropped down to a lower speed rating (H) and increased my mileage considerably.

This may not be recommended but I won't be driving 140+ mph.

Here's a table of speed ratings.

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires

M 81 mph 130 km/h

N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires

P 93 mph 150 km/h

Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires

R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires

S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

U 124 mph 200 km/h

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Sam

Our 2007 ls460 has 42K miles and I replaced the original turanza el42 tires at 40K with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I bought the new tires about 3 months ago at America's Tire for $915 after $100 rebate - This beat Costco and Tirerack.

So far the new tires are performing well - I hope to get about 50K miles out of these tires.

Archie, your logic fails me, you hate the junky tires the dealer put on the car but when you had the chance to replace your tires with something better you didn't.

Remember though that speed rating also has a lot to do with sidewall construction and tire rigidity. The suspension of the car is designed around what it came with. One down to H won't be a big deal probably, but I wouldn't go any more than that...

Agreed.

sam

Remember though that speed rating also has a lot to do with sidewall construction and tire rigidity. The suspension of the car is designed around what it came with. One down to H won't be a big deal probably, but I wouldn't go any more than that...

• 3 months later...

FWIW, on my 2007 LS 460L, I had two tires replaced prior to 10,000 miles due to nails in the sidewalls. From that point on, all of the Tauranza EL42 Originals performed well up to 36,000 before I traded the car on another 460L. Those EL42 wre not as smooth or quiet as the new 19" wheels on the 2010, and I ran them 36 to 38 psi for perceived comfort. On the new one I bought replacement warranties on both the wheels and tires due to my experience with having to replace two of the old ones. Time will tell if it is worth it, but there is a lot of real estate on a tire not covered by the original warranty. Anything outside of the tread markings.

quote name='Archie' date='16 December 2009 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1261016063' post='396062']