Power Steering Noise

97LS4003jg

I have a 97 LS 400 with 98k miles on it that has a whine coming from the power steering pump area. The sound does NOT change much when the wheel is turned. I checked the fluid and all is fine. My independent mechanic said it looked fine when he did the 90k service recently. But it is still there. It is worse at idle and I can actually feel a little vibration through the wheel. So I just had all the work done and the problem is still there. I took it to another mechanic who said the belts where fine and agreed the pump was going out and change it. What should I do? I have one guy saying it is fine and another saying it is not. Could it be anything else? Thanks in advance.

I have a 97 LS 400 with 98k miles on it that has a whine coming from the power steering pump area. The sound does NOT change much when the wheel is turned. I checked the fluid and all is fine. My independent mechanic said it looked fine when he did the 90k service recently. But it is still there. It is worse at idle and I can actually feel a little vibration through the wheel. So I just had all the work done and the problem is still there. I took it to another mechanic who said the belts where fine and agreed the pump was going out and change it. What should I do? I have one guy saying it is fine and another saying it is not. Could it be anything else? Thanks in advance.

Gotta love the power steering systems on the LS400s. ;) Seriously, if its whining and the fluid is full, it may be going out. Is the steering hard to turn?

Power steering woes are no stranger to ANY LS400, but the 1990-1994 models seem to be plagued the most.

Good luck and welcome to these forums.

Before you spend that kind of money for a PS pump, better check the alternator for the source of the noise. I put the second PS pump on my '97 before discovering that was not the problem... was the alternator. Just my $.02.

Before you spend that kind of money for a PS pump, better check the alternator for the source of the noise. I put the second PS pump on my '97 before discovering that was not the problem... was the alternator. Just my $.02.

Same here on my 2000.

Thanks guys, love the forum been lurking for long time. On my third used LS....had a '92, '98, and now the '97 great cars. Well had the new pump put on and noise is still there :( Here is some more info, at speed no noise, at idle in gear with low RPM's no noise, in park at idle it whines. It is coming from the power stering pump side. No question something is going on because one day the noise just started. Could have sworn it was the pump because I have already replaced two in my previous LS and it is the same sound. Will check the alternator. Any other thoughts?

Replacing the alternator fixed the problem at the expense of replacing steering pump as well. Thanks for all of the replies.