Crosswind Handling

I am considering replacing my expiring lease Infiniti M35 Sport with a GS 350. My M35 is very crisp with 245-19-40 tires and sports suspension (also rides very rough and noisy) I once had a 98 ES which was terrible about crabbing and wandering back and forth in strong crosswinds. I know the GS is different suspension and tires but the 2010 GS steering has that same kind of vague feeling that my old ES did. I had an overnight test drive but there was no wind. I hate to buy this GS and trade it in too soon re this last question because I love everything else about it.

Can anybody please commment on GS handling in crosswinds?

I've owned two GS350's (2007 and current 2009) and have never had an issue with cross winds, including driving over the Golden Gate Bridge is serious wind conditions. Keep in mind, the GS350 is not what I would call a sports car. It has sporty handling, but does not have the heavier/sportier handling of the IS series. Personally, I love the handling as it is the best of both worlds...sports and comfort, but thats just my HO.

I am considering replacing my expiring lease Infiniti M35 Sport with a GS 350. My M35 is very crisp with 245-19-40 tires and sports suspension (also rides very rough and noisy) I once had a 98 ES which was terrible about crabbing and wandering back and forth in strong crosswinds. I know the GS is different suspension and tires but the 2010 GS steering has that same kind of vague feeling that my old ES did. I had an overnight test drive but there was no wind. I hate to buy this GS and trade it in too soon re this last question because I love everything else about it.

Can anybody please commment on GS handling in crosswinds?

i don't think i've ever experienced the car wandering in crosswind

but then again maybe there's your answer =)

Thanks guys for the feedback. This helps me feel better. I went by the dealer last night and put a hold on the GS - mercury over black with spider wheels. Will pick it up right after Christmas

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for the feedback. This helps me feel better. I went by the dealer last night and put a hold on the GS - mercury over black with spider wheels. Will pick it up right after Christmas

I purchased a 2006 CPO with just under 40K miles on it. I am noticing that on the hwy, I make lots more steering corrections than I did in my Jetta. Especially when another vehicle or truck passes you at a higher rate of speed. The car feels very good and easy to drive off the hwy but takes more concentration and effort in high speed traffic. Anyone else notice this? The alignment feels spot on.

The GS is a great highway car, its very stable at high speed, even on windy day. It will not handle like your Infiniti M with the sport package, but it will ride smoother, try to find a GS without the run flats. The runflat will make the GS ride much rougher.

I purchased a 2006 CPO with just under 40K miles on it. I am noticing that on the hwy, I make lots more steering corrections than I did in my Jetta. Especially when another vehicle or truck passes you at a higher rate of speed. The car feels very good and easy to drive off the hwy but takes more concentration and effort in high speed traffic. Anyone else notice this? The alignment feels spot on.

You cannot alway feel when an alignment is off, you should check it anyways, but your problem sounds more tire related. How old are your tire?

Many reviews mentioned the feature that has the car apply slight steering inputs to correct for crosswinds. Having driven my GS430 in a heavy snow event with brutal crosswinds, I noticed on multiple occasions that the car would start to be blown and would correct itself as long as I didn't try to make steering corrections. Very eerie, but reassuring once you just let the car do its thing.

Many reviews mentioned the feature that has the car apply slight steering inputs to correct for crosswinds. Having driven my GS430 in a heavy snow event with brutal crosswinds, I noticed on multiple occasions that the car would start to be blown and would correct itself as long as I didn't try to make steering corrections. Very eerie, but reassuring once you just let the car do its thing.

The GS350 doesnt have that feature, its standard on the GS460 and GS430.

You cannot alway feel when an alignment is off, you should check it anyways, but your problem sounds more tire related. How old are your tire?

My tires came with the car and look to have lots of

life left on them. unfortunately they are mud and snow

instead of a touring tire. Probably a purchase by the original

owner near lease end. Falken ziex ze912 225 50 R17.

Maybe they are part of the problem?

Well, there is your problem, Flaken are bargain basement tires. You need something that will grip better.

Well, there is your problem, Flaken are bargain basement tires. You need something that will grip better.

UPDATE: Took the car into Lexus today and explained that over about 55 MPH and especially at higher speeds, the car needs constant steering corrections and almost feels that as soon as I compensate in one direction, it almost seems like to much and then I must adjust some the other way. Also told them that the car handling also seems very compromised based on road conditions such as one bump or dip forcing me to start making corrections again. My Jetta was easier to drive. I don't dare drive this Lexus one handed. I said no way should this 46 thousand dollar car be handling in such a dangerous way. This is supposed to be a sport sedan competing with the 5 series BMW.

Mechanic went for a ride with me. He said he would check the alignment and also would look at the settings for the electromechanical steering. He informed me that there was a campaign and the steering racks were replaced. I don't know if that was on all 06 GS300 models or just part of the CPO program. He had heard of this steering issue before.

He told me he cleared the rack/PS settings and reset everything, alignment was spot on. He feels this will take care of the problem. After this repair, on lower speed roadways, the car felt better. I only got up to about 60 mph for 20 seconds on a very flat well paved road. I will get it onto the hwy within the next day or so and update you. I sure hope this helps. By the way, they said they use Falken tires all the time with no problems.

UPDATE: Took the car into Lexus today and explained that over about 55 MPH and especially at higher speeds, the car needs constant steering corrections and almost feels that as soon as I compensate in one direction, it almost seems like to much and then I must adjust some the other way. Also told them that the car handling also seems very compromised based on road conditions such as one bump or dip forcing me to start making corrections again. My Jetta was easier to drive. I don't dare drive this Lexus one handed. I said no way should this 46 thousand dollar car be handling in such a dangerous way. This is supposed to be a sport sedan competing with the 5 series BMW.

Mechanic went for a ride with me. He said he would check the alignment and also would look at the settings for the electromechanical steering. He informed me that there was a campaign and the steering racks were replaced. I don't know if that was on all 06 GS300 models or just part of the CPO program. He had heard of this steering issue before.

He told me he cleared the rack/PS settings and reset everything, alignment was spot on. He feels this will take care of the problem. After this repair, on lower speed roadways, the car felt better. I only got up to about 60 mph for 20 seconds on a very flat well paved road. I will get it onto the hwy within the next day or so and update you. I sure hope this helps. By the way, they said they use Falken tires all the time with no problems.

My 2006 GS430 had the racks replaced before I bought it. No problems with mine, but the GS is notorious for having steering with less "feedback" than its BMW and Benz competitors. I believe "uninspired" was the term that was continuously used in reviews.

My 2006 GS430 had the racks replaced before I bought it. No problems with mine, but the GS is notorious for having steering with less "feedback" than its BMW and Benz competitors. I believe "uninspired" was the term that was continuously used in reviews.

Uninspired steering feel does not bother me as I am looking for the luxury feel more than a sport feel. If I wanted inspired, I probably would have gone with BMW. I bought the GS for myself as I have always been a fan of the looks and of course, the roads that I test drove it on portrayed it to be a stable nice riding car. To me, the third gen body style is pure genius with really sexy lines. And, the interior is not to shabby either! :lol: . But, I do want a car that doesn't make me feel that I am always in a compromised situation. I need to feel safe and secure. I never got to go on the hwy today as I spent a good part of the afternoon detailing my GS and the wifes ES. Tomorrow, I hope to enjoy the fruits of my labor and go for a cruise. And, I hope the steering is better.

I am glad your dealer found the problem, I would have took it on the highway right away :) New steering rack or not, I dont think your GS will handle like a BMW 5 series :)

Took the car on I95 today. It was a windy day. The car seems

improved but still not the way I would expect it to be.

Perhaps it is from the weight of the car and the suspension?

This car looks like a million bucks but unfortunately

doesn't handle as I thought it would. Maybe I'll save

some money when I can and take off the all season

tires and replace with a touring tire?

Took the car to work today. It is much improved. No BMW

for sure but still driveable and more enjoyable.

I still wish it handled better though.

Took the car to work today. It is much improved. No BMW

for sure but still driveable and more enjoyable.

I still wish it handled better though.

I'm at a loss here. Why did you buy the car if you didn't like the way it handled?

I'm at a loss here. Why did you buy the car if you didn't like the way it handled?

He probably didnt test drive it on the highway.

I probably got the car up to 60 mph for a short burst on a congested Hwy during my test drive (state Rd 7- U.S 441). Lots of traffic and lights in a very commercial area. The car rode and steered nicely during the test drive. On slower roads, it is great to drive and very relaxing doing it. Since the adjustment to the steering rack and electromechanical power steering was done last Friday,( and I was off on Monday), Tuesday and today were the real test driving in I95 traffic. It is much more stable on the hwy and I am able to concentrate less and enjoy the ride more and I have to say, enjoy it I did tonight. I absolutely think the styling is second to none and have wished I could own one and, now I do. I am blessed to have such a beautiful car. I also own the ES350 which my wife bought the same day I got my GS and that feels much more nimble and sure footed than the GS and I think that is what surprised me. The GS has a much heavier steering feel and seems to respond more to bad road surfaces including bumps and dips. And, my tires may be a part of that issue.

In any event, I think I'll be ok now. I appreciate the responses I have received from you guys. All I can say is, If I was shopping for me again today, I might

entertain an ES for myself as it has great comfort, smooth ride and good handling although stylish in a different way than the GS but still easy on the eyes.

I'm lucky, I get to drive both although my primary ride is the GS.

Have a great night.

P1080060.bmp

I probably got the car up to 60 mph for a short burst on a congested Hwy during my test drive (state Rd 7- U.S 441). Lots of traffic and lights in a very commercial area. The car rode and steered nicely during the test drive. On slower roads, it is great to drive and very relaxing doing it. Since the adjustment to the steering rack and electromechanical power steering was done last Friday,( and I was off on Monday), Tuesday and today were the real test driving in I95 traffic. It is much more stable on the hwy and I am able to concentrate less and enjoy the ride more and I have to say, enjoy it I did tonight. I absolutely think the styling is second to none and have wished I could own one and, now I do. I am blessed to have such a beautiful car. I also own the ES350 which my wife bought the same day I got my GS and that feels much more nimble and sure footed than the GS and I think that is what surprised me. The GS has a much heavier steering feel and seems to respond more to bad road surfaces including bumps and dips. And, my tires may be a part of that issue.

In any event, I think I'll be ok now. I appreciate the responses I have received from you guys. All I can say is, If I was shopping for me again today, I might

entertain an ES for myself as it has great comfort, smooth ride and good handling although stylish in a different way than the GS but still easy on the eyes.

I'm lucky, I get to drive both although my primary ride is the GS.

Have a great night.

My GS handles much better than the ES, I can drive comfortably on the highway doing a 100 mph with no drifting at all. I still think there is something wrong with your GS. Did you ever get a car fax on the car, was it a CPO? The GS doesn’t handle road imperfection well, that is normal. That is one difference between a BMW and a GS, the BMW can going over imperfection at high speed and it will not affect the handling.

y GS handles much better than the ES, I can drive comfortably on the highway doing a 100 mph with no drifting at all. I still think there is something wrong with your GS. Did you ever get a car fax on the car, was it a CPO? The GS doesn’t handle road imperfection well, that is normal. That is one difference between a BMW and a GS, the BMW can going over imperfection at high speed and it will not affect the handling.

I had compared the ES and GS and preferred the GS handling, hands down. Firmer, more responsive, less marshmallowy. I imagine the OP may also be feeling the difference between an FWD car (ES) and his GS (either RWD or AWD).

In response to highway driving during a test drive, suggest you always test drive the car as you would use it every/most days. I once had a dealer not allow me to take a test drive on the interstate. I stopped, turned around and went right back to the dealership. He said it was against their insurance to allow that, and I responded that it was against my wallet to not be able to test drive a car emulating its use everyday for me. He was stunned, speachless, and now that dealership is also out of business.

Anyways, it's good to hear that the OP is feeling better about the handling.

I had compared the ES and GS and preferred the GS handling, hands down. Firmer, more responsive, less marshmallowy. I imagine the OP may also be feeling the difference between an FWD car (ES) and his GS (either RWD or AWD).

Even the RWD GS should handle better than FWD ES I would think.