Few Minor Issues With My Sc300, Help Anyone?

gs_1993

Hey all,

I have a 93' sc300 5 speed with about 145K on it. I just switched it to mobile 1 10w-30 from regular valvoline, and i somehow went through about 1 quart (I put 4 quarts in it initially) in about 3 miles. I couldn't understand this, so i checked the drain plug, no leaks, and tightened the oil filter by hand even more (it budged a little bit tighter). I've had to add about a quart every 1000 or so miles before, so i was wondering if anyone made the switch to synthetic and had a crazy amount of oil consumption initially (ive driven it about 10 more miles and it doesnt seem to have used up any more oil).

Also, the tachometer and speedometer gauges are burnt out of course, but every once in a while, if i push in the brake or clutch, the tachometer gauge will light up for a second, then die. Any ideas? doesnt really sound burnt out to me, just a short somewhere thats not allowing it to get any electricity. Let me know if you've experienced similar problems. Thanks.

Hey all,

I have a 93' sc300 5 speed with about 145K on it. I just switched it to mobile 1 10w-30 from regular valvoline, and i somehow went through about 1 quart (I put 4 quarts in it initially) in about 3 miles. I couldn't understand this, so i checked the drain plug, no leaks, and tightened the oil filter by hand even more (it budged a little bit tighter). I've had to add about a quart every 1000 or so miles before, so i was wondering if anyone made the switch to synthetic and had a crazy amount of oil consumption initially (ive driven it about 10 more miles and it doesnt seem to have used up any more oil).

Also, the tachometer and speedometer gauges are burnt out of course, but every once in a while, if i push in the brake or clutch, the tachometer gauge will light up for a second, then die. Any ideas? doesnt really sound burnt out to me, just a short somewhere thats not allowing it to get any electricity. Let me know if you've experienced similar problems. Thanks.

And how much did you put in after the change? 4 Qrts. What Eng do you have. What's with the 10W? And by the way; what's the total capacity of oil for your eng?

Hey all,

And how much did you put in after the change? 4 Qrts. What Eng do you have. What's with the 10W? And by the way; what's the total capacity of oil for your eng?

The engine holds 5 quarts, so you were not low because you used it, but because you never had it.

Hey all,

The engine holds 5 quarts, so you were not low because you used it, but because you never had it.

My manual said 4.1 quarts with the filter. I forgot to convert imperial to US, which would make it 5 quarts.