2007 Gs350 Tmps Missing?

I bought a used 2007 GS350 about three months ago. The car has been great and have had no issues. On the way home for Thanksgiving the check system light and tire pressure light came on in the car. I pulled over at the first tire shop I could find and had the tires checked. The mechanic said everything was fine. I then took the car to the Lexus dealership to get checked out. The service tech informed me that there were no TPMS sensors on my car.

My question is how have I had this car for 3 plus months with no sensors and the warning lights just came on now? Is it possible that someone took out the sensors and overrode the system to not go off? The sensor on the spare is even missing. I am clueless. Any thoughts?

What are the best/cheapest TPMS replacements? The dealership told me $1150 installed.

I'm seeing new OEM Toyota/Lexus TPM sensors on eBay for as little as $68 each ... used ones from $25 each. You might find some even cheaper if you look around. I love eBay!

• 3 weeks later...

I installed a set of aftermarket wheels on my '06 GS300 and didn't get any TPMS warnings for months either. That made me wonder about the whole TPMS sytem too.

The only two times the system indicated a TPMS message were both on longer distance trips. The first one was 65 mile drive and the second one was on a 300 mile trip. The rest of my driving is around town and therefore not much time or distance. It seems to me the system needs to have the error condition present for a longer period of driving time before it indicates anything is wrong (or in our cases, that there are no TPMS sensors even present). If the same is true of low tire pressure conditions when there are sensors on the tires then I'm wondering how helpful the whole TPMS system is if you really did have a tire with low pressure.

BTW - I did buy a set of 4 used OEM sensors (Toyota P/N 42607-30030) on ebay for $100 and had them programmed at the Lexus dealer for $52 to get the system back in order for communicating with the extra set of wheels. The first set of wheels with the origianl factory sensors now has snow tires mounted. One nice thing about the GS TPMS system is that it has capability for two separate sets of wheels and you can switch back and forth between the two sets conveniently.

I bought a used 2007 GS350 about three months ago. The car has been great and have had no issues. On the way home for Thanksgiving the check system light and tire pressure light came on in the car. I pulled over at the first tire shop I could find and had the tires checked. The mechanic said everything was fine. I then took the car to the Lexus dealership to get checked out. The service tech informed me that there were no TPMS sensors on my car.

My question is how have I had this car for 3 plus months with no sensors and the warning lights just came on now? Is it possible that someone took out the sensors and overrode the system to not go off? The sensor on the spare is even missing. I am clueless. Any thoughts?

Did you check whether the spare tire had a TMPS sensor, and its pressure?

• 2 weeks later...

You have to drive the car for an excessive amount of time before you'd get a warning light. If your trip is less than an hour or so in Drive, the computer doesn't tell the light to go on yet. You'd have to be driving in DRIVE for over an hour or so for the computer to register and turn the warning on. <_<

If the same is true of low tire pressure conditions when there are sensors on the tires then I'm wondering how helpful the whole TPMS system is if you really did have a tire with low pressure.

Useless!

The rear left hand tire on my mums LS600hL blew out on the freeway the other day, and she said that the car had been shaking slightly for about 5 minutes, but she was on a new patch of road so assumed it was the new tarmac, then she 5 minutes later the shaking became horrible and she noticed smoke coming from the rear tire.

Upon seeing the inside sidewall of the tire, the whole sidewall was torn and ripped open.

I don't see the use of these TMPS sensors at all as they didn't provide any help in this situation. Lucky it wasn't a front tire or she probably would have crashed!!!

If the same is true of low tire pressure conditions when there are sensors on the tires then I'm wondering how helpful the whole TPMS system is if you really did have a tire with low pressure.

Useless!

The rear left hand tire on my mums LS600hL blew out on the freeway the other day, and she said that the car had been shaking slightly for about 5 minutes, but she was on a new patch of road so assumed it was the new tarmac, then she 5 minutes later the shaking became horrible and she noticed smoke coming from the rear tire.

Upon seeing the inside sidewall of the tire, the whole sidewall was torn and ripped open.

I don't see the use of these TMPS sensors at all as they didn't provide any help in this situation. Lucky it wasn't a front tire or she probably would have crashed!!!

TPMS sensors are designed to alert you to slow leaks (ie: from punctures, faulty valve inserts, damaged beads) not acute blow outs.