Best Ls To Buy

tim john

Looking to possibly buy a used ls. What is the best year for reliability? Looking for a ls 400, not 430.

Thanks

Tim

I have had several (7) LS', and 95-97 is the strongest in my mind, less nit picking problems.... just read the forum here.... the most troublesom is 90-94...

I think the 98-2000 is pretty but I dont think they are as well built...

that is JUST my 2 cents worth....

Looking to possibly buy a used ls. What is the best year for reliability? Looking for a ls 400, not 430.

Thanks

Tim

I have had several (7) LS', and 95-97 is the strongest in my mind, less nit picking problems.... just read the forum here.... the most troublesom is 90-94...

Thanks for the help. No rush to buy, driving es 330 04, wife has 04 Impala, both paid off. Great Bible study link. Have a great day.

Tim

One that has already had the valve cover gaskets, motor mounts, steering and suspension, timing belt, water pump changed and all power steering issues addressed unless you like paying a fortune to have these addressed, especially if you are not a DIY'er.

True- the 1990-94s seem to have more problems now, simply because they are older now... the oldest LS's on the road, but still reliable cars, but are annoying if you dont have alot of money in your savings account to play around with. Mine has minor, but costly annoyances.

One reason I like the 1990-94 models if that if your timing belt happens to break, it wont take out your engine as it will on the 1995+ LS400s. Still debates on if the 95-97 LS400 is an interference engine, but unless I was 100% sure, I would assume the 95-97s are interference. 1990-94s are not.

Just my two cents, but I would not purchase a vehicle nowadays without electronic stability control. I believe those were added to the LS in 1997, but I could be wrong. Vehicle safety has come a long way in the last decade.

Thanks

Tim

Thanks for the help. No rush to buy, driving es 330 04, wife has 04 Impala, both paid off. Great Bible study link. Have a great day.

Tim

thanks, my hope is it helps people get into their Bible where the Holy Spirit can teach them the REAL truth, not my words, which are just stimulants.... 2 Tim 2:15 Study.....

newer = more standard features and especially more standard safety features.

The first model year VSC was standard on the LS400 was 1998. The first model year front side air bags were standard was 1998. The first model year that brake assist was standard on the LS400 was 2000.

VSC is absolutely incredible in snow and ice -- especially on a rear wheel drive car. Once you have experienced VSC taking control of the throttle and applying brakes selectively to seamlessly put you back on course after you begin to skid out of control, you won't want to be without it.

There is a summary of LS400 generations here: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

newer = more standard features and especially more standard safety features.

The first model year VSC was standard on the LS400 was 1998. The first model year front side air bags were standard was 1998. The first model year that brake assist was standard on the LS400 was 2000.

VSC is absolutely incredible in snow and ice -- especially on a rear wheel drive car. Once you have experienced VSC taking control of the throttle and applying brakes selectively to seamlessly put you back on course after you begin to skid out of control, you won't want to be without it.

There is a summary of LS400 generations here: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

I'm just glad we dont get the ice and snow.... it is pretty, I like looking at it, but I would be very dangerous

good old Texas..... but keep your AC up to par. whew

From a pure reliability standpoint the original LS, the 90-04 is probably the best built and the most reliable. You see more problems with them here on the board, and you'd of course expect that because those cars are all old enough to have a driver's license and drive themselves. They are however very over-engineered.

With each new version of the LS Lexus has dialed back some of their over-engineering as they have across the whole line. The new LS460 for instance is a beautiful car, very well built and very refined and reliable, but its not as well built as an old LS400.

If I were you I would try and find a nice 2000 LS400. In 00 they added brake assist, but there are few differences between the 98,99, and 00. There were a lot of improvements in 98 over the 97, and any fear about the 98 being less well built or reliable than the 97 is unfounded because it was a mid-cycle refresh and most of the car is exactly the same. The 98 got the VVT-i motor, VSC, the 5 speed transmission as well as a new front end, new rear lights, HID headlamps, wood leather wheel, the driver information center as well as new wheels and other trim upgrades. The 98-00 remains one of my favorite LS models. My dad had a 98 he put 165k miles on, he replaced it with a new LS430 in '04 which he also loves, but he always says its not quite the same as the 98.

If I were you I would try and find a nice 2000 LS400. In 00 they added brake assist, but there are few differences between the 98,99, and 00. There were a lot of improvements in 98 over the 97, and any fear about the 98 being less well built or reliable than the 97 is unfounded because it was a mid-cycle refresh and most of the car is exactly the same. The 98 got the VVT-i motor, VSC, the 5 speed transmission as well as a new front end, new rear lights, HID headlamps, wood leather wheel, the driver information center as well as new wheels and other trim upgrades. The 98-00 remains one of my favorite LS models. My dad had a 98 he put 165k miles on, he replaced it with a new LS430 in '04 which he also loves, but he always says its not quite the same as the 98.

I agree entirely. The 98-00 cars are probably the best looking LS's ever, and the Vvti engine and five speed are superb.