Life Of Spark Plug

camlex

Hello,

Since i bought used car, Car has 132K. TB and WP were changed at 100K.

What i should for Spark plug and wire? Car runs great, Good power and idle.

Can i wait to 200K for next TB change? I wants make sure these plugs will be safe.

How to find they original or replaced? front are easy to open

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Since i bought used car, Car has 132K. TB and WP were changed at 100K.

What i should for Spark plug and wire? Car runs great, Good power and idle.

Can i wait to 200K for next TB change? I wants make sure these plugs will be safe.

How to find they original or replaced? front are easy to open

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you could probably wait until 200K for the next timing belt change. I wouldn't wait quite that long but I'm a stickler for following maintenance schedules.

Spark plug wires on modern cars can last hundreds of thousands of miles -- don't worry about them. Check your maintenance manual for the spark plug replacement interval. If you don't have the maintenance manual for your car, register in the owners section of the Lexus website and view it online. If maintenance has been done at a Lexus dealership, you will be able to view at least some maintenance history online on the Lexus website.

If you know who the previous owner was, ask if the spark plugs have been replaced. If the car is running well, then it sounds like the car is doing fine.

Our Camry has nearly the same drivetrain as your ES and we've found it to be a very low cost car to maintain over the 111,000 miles (since new) we've driven it. Mainly change the engine oil and filter every 5,000 miles and change the tranny fluid every 30K to 60K miles -- adhere to the maintenance schedule and you will be fine.

You can follow the maintenance schedule (always a good thing), however, as 90 mentions, oem/quality plugs can last much longer. Pulling a plug is also a good idea, but even after hundreds of thousands of miles they can be in great condition. Basically, if you have no issues with starting and fuel economy is to spec, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not a diy and would like reassurance, an easy test you can ask your tech to do is to scope the ignition. Worn plugs that have widened gaps will cause an increase in the firing voltage. Fouled plugs will show lower firing voltage.

As I promissed, this is from front (easy one)

First Four pic shows model#,Manufacturer and Quality. I went to Orailly, they have NKG AFR6T11 vs mine shows AFR6A11.

Price was ~$7.00. I am planning buy from Toyota. please advise.

Last two pic shows coils length. Looks to these are original coil and Spark plug.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Questions:

if I disconnect rear coils even it's hard to do, due to length of coil, will be possible to take out straight to remove plug.

Should i replace coils?

Thanks in advance.

post-15260-1258920757_thumb.jpg

post-15260-1258920777_thumb.jpg

post-15260-1258920796_thumb.jpg

post-15260-1258920813_thumb.jpg

post-15260-1258920834_thumb.jpg

post-15260-1258920854_thumb.jpg

Those sure aren't the prettiest spark plugs I've seen -- could they be the original ones?

A Toyota dealer is a good place to buy parts -- when in doubt, check the following website to see if the part numbers for the Toyota Camry are the same as for your ES: http://www.toyodiy.com/

Replace the coils? You'll "have a cow" when you see how much they cost -- MSRP is $94.60 each! They are not normally replaced unless they go bad ... do they ever? Didn't you say your car was running fine?

Replacing the rear three spark plugs looks like a bit of a challenge -- I just looked at the rear plug location on our V6 Camry ... made me glad I had a mechanic replace them instead of me doing it.

I know its looks tough. I love challenges. Lets try.

My only concern length of coils. hope i have enough clearance to pull out.

wish me a good luck for "Happy Thanksgibving" project.

By the way, you'll have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care.